Size is not all that matters. But still, we would love to know how big Nashville in Tennessee is. Here is the answer:
Nashville, Tennessee covers an area of 1367.25 square kilometers (527.9 square miles).
With 668,347 people living in Nashville that comes to a population density of 488.83 inhabitants per square kilometer (1266.05 / sq mi)
As a reference: The 8,398,748 people living in New York City are crammed onto 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi), which results into a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Nashville is the capital and most populous city of the U.S. state of Tennessee. The city is the county seat of Davidson County and is located on the Cumberland River. It is the 23rd most-populous city in the United States.Named for Francis Nash, a general of the Continental Army during the American Revolutionary War, the city was founded in 1779. The city grew quickly due to its strategic location as a port on the Cumberland River and, in the 19th century, a railroad center. Nashville seceded with Tennessee during the American Civil War; in 1862 it was the first state capital in the Confederacy to fall to Union troops. After the war, the city reclaimed its position and developed a manufacturing base.Since 1963, Nashville has had a consolidated city-county government, which includes six smaller municipalities in a two-tier system. The city is governed by a mayor, a vice-mayor, and a 40-member metropolitan council; 35 of the members are elected from single-member districts, while the other five are elected at-large. Reflecting the city’s position in state government, Nashville is home to the Tennessee Supreme Court’s courthouse for Middle Tennessee, one of the three divisions.A major center for the music industry, especially country music, Nashville is commonly known as “Music City.” It is also home to numerous colleges and universities, including Tennessee State University, Vanderbilt University, Belmont University, Fisk University, Trevecca Nazarene University, and Lipscomb University, and is sometimes referred to as “Athens of the South” due to the large number of educational institutions. Nashville is also a major center for the healthcare, publishing, private prison, banking, automotive, and transportation industries. Entities with headquarters in the city include Asurion, Bridgestone Americas, Captain D’s, CoreCivic, Dollar General, Hospital Corporation of America, LifeWay Christian Resources, Logan’s Roadhouse, and Ryman Hospitality Properties.
Cities with a similar size as Nashville
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Nashville, Tennessee, here you go:
- San Antonio, Texas with a size of 1,208.78 square kilometers (1,208.78 sq mi), population: 1,436,697
- Corpus Christi, Texas with a size of 1,304.23 square kilometers (1,304.23 sq mi), population: 316,381
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with a size of 1,607.56 square kilometers (1,607.56 sq mi), population: 591,967
- Los Angeles, California with a size of 1,302.15 square kilometers (1,302.15 sq mi), population: 3,976,322
- Phoenix, Arizona with a size of 1,343.94 square kilometers (1,343.94 sq mi), population: 1,626,078
- Virginia Beach, Virginia with a size of 1,288.52 square kilometers (1,288.52 sq mi), population: 448,479
- New York City, New York with a size of 1,214.00 square kilometers (1,214.00 sq mi), population: 8,398,748
Cities with a similar population density as Nashville
Other cities that have a similar population density as Nashville, Tennessee are:
- Central City, Louisiana with a population density of 430 people per sq km (1,113 / sq mi).
- St. Marys, Georgia with a population density of 463 people per sq km (1,199 / sq mi).
- Indianola, Iowa with a population density of 507 people per sq km (1,314 / sq mi).
- Jasper, Indiana with a population density of 435 people per sq km (1,126 / sq mi).
- Excelsior Springs, Missouri with a population density of 410 people per sq km (1,063 / sq mi).
- Paducah, Kentucky with a population density of 468 people per sq km (1,213 / sq mi).
- Yazoo City, Mississippi with a population density of 564 people per sq km (1,461 / sq mi).
- Shawnee, Kansas with a population density of 560 people per sq km (1,451 / sq mi).
- Rome, Georgia with a population density of 432 people per sq km (1,119 / sq mi).
- Jacksonville, Alabama with a population density of 442 people per sq km (1,145 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Nashville
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Nashville, Tennessee:
- Las Vegas, Nevada with a population of 648,224 people
- Seattle, Washington with a population of 744,955 people
- Charlotte, North Carolina with a population of 731,424 people
- Detroit, Michigan with a population of 680,250 people
- Louisville, Kentucky with a population of 760,026 people
- Memphis, Tennessee with a population of 646,889 people
- Portland, Oregon with a population of 653,115 people
- Fort Worth, Texas with a population of 812,238 people
- El Paso, Texas with a population of 682,669 people
- Baltimore, Maryland with a population of 622,104 people