Size is not all that matters. But still, we would love to know how big Pensacola in Florida is. Here is the answer:
Pensacola, Florida covers an area of 105.57 square kilometers (40.76 square miles).
With 51,923 people living in Pensacola that comes to a population density of 491.83 inhabitants per square kilometer (1273.87 / sq mi)
As a reference: The 8,398,748 people living in New York City are crammed onto 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi), which results into a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Pensacola () is the westernmost city in the Florida Panhandle, and the county seat of Escambia County, Florida. As of 2018, the population was estimated to be 52,713. Pensacola is the principal city of the Pensacola Metropolitan Area, which had an estimated 494,883 residents as of 2018. Pensacola is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the Gulf Coast region, the largest between New Orleans and Tampa.Pensacola is the site of the first Spanish settlement within the borders of the continental United States in 1559, predating the establishment of St. Augustine by 6 years, although the settlement was abandoned due to a hurricane and not re-established until 1698. Pensacola is a seaport on Pensacola Bay, which is protected by the barrier island of Santa Rosa and connects to the Gulf of Mexico. A large United States Naval Air Station, the first in the United States, is located southwest of Pensacola near Warrington; it is the base of the Blue Angels flight demonstration team and the National Naval Aviation Museum. The main campus of the University of West Florida is situated north of the city center.The area was originally inhabited by Muskogean-speaking peoples. The Pensacola people lived there at the time of European contact, and Creek people frequently visited and traded from present-day southern Alabama. Spanish explorer Tristán de Luna founded a short-lived settlement in 1559. In 1698 the Spanish established a presidio in the area, from which the modern city gradually developed. The area changed hands several times as European powers competed in North America. During Florida’s British rule (1763–1781), fortifications were strengthened.It is nicknamed “The City of Five Flags”, due to the five governments that have ruled it during its history: the flags of Spain (Castile), France, Great Britain, the United States of America, and the Confederate States of America. Other nicknames include “World’s Whitest Beaches” (due to the white sand of Florida panhandle beaches), “Cradle of Naval Aviation”, “Western Gate to the Sunshine State”, “America’s First Settlement”, “Emerald Coast”, “Red Snapper Capital of the World”, and “P-Cola”.
Cities with a similar size as Pensacola
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Pensacola, Florida, here you go:
- Billings, Montana with a size of 113.47 square kilometers (113.47 sq mi), population: 104,170
- Winter Haven, Florida with a size of 103.42 square kilometers (103.42 sq mi), population: 26,484
- Carmel, Indiana with a size of 125.72 square kilometers (125.72 sq mi), population: 85,927
- West Valley City, Utah with a size of 91.99 square kilometers (91.99 sq mi), population: 129,480
- Visalia, California with a size of 97.11 square kilometers (97.11 sq mi), population: 124,442
- North Branch, Minnesota with a size of 93.33 square kilometers (93.33 sq mi), population: 10,125
- Duncan, Oklahoma with a size of 123.64 square kilometers (123.64 sq mi), population: 22,505
- Midland, Michigan with a size of 92.44 square kilometers (92.44 sq mi), population: 41,863
- Odessa, Texas with a size of 117.68 square kilometers (117.68 sq mi), population: 99,940
- Lakeville, Minnesota with a size of 98.18 square kilometers (98.18 sq mi), population: 55,954
Cities with a similar population density as Pensacola
Other cities that have a similar population density as Pensacola, Florida are:
- Cañon City, Colorado with a population density of 535 people per sq km (1,384 / sq mi).
- Herrin, Illinois with a population density of 485 people per sq km (1,255 / sq mi).
- Ocean City, New Jersey with a population density of 418 people per sq km (1,083 / sq mi).
- Greenville, Mississippi with a population density of 428 people per sq km (1,109 / sq mi).
- North Little Rock, Arkansas with a population density of 439 people per sq km (1,136 / sq mi).
- Burleson, Texas with a population density of 538 people per sq km (1,392 / sq mi).
- Centralia, Illinois with a population density of 592 people per sq km (1,532 / sq mi).
- Alabaster, Alabama with a population density of 476 people per sq km (1,232 / sq mi).
- Ocean Springs, Mississippi with a population density of 444 people per sq km (1,149 / sq mi).
- Grand Haven, Michigan with a population density of 586 people per sq km (1,517 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Pensacola
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Pensacola, Florida:
- Hamilton, Ohio with a population of 62,477 people
- Altoona, Pennsylvania with a population of 49,523 people
- Lodi, California with a population of 62,134 people
- Rowlett, Texas with a population of 56,199 people
- Dublin, California with a population of 49,890 people
- Palm Beach Gardens, Florida with a population of 53,778 people
- La Mesa, California with a population of 57,065 people
- Sanford, Florida with a population of 53,570 people
- Lakewood, Washington with a population of 58,163 people
- Broomfield, Colorado with a population of 59,471 people