It is hard to guess what a Bushveld gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Bushveld gerbil (Gerbilliscus leucogaster) on average weights 73 grams (0.16 lbs).
The Bushveld gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Gerbilliscus). It is usually born with about 2 grams (0 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 16 cm (0′ 7″). Usually, Bushveld gerbils have 4 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Bushveld gerbil (Gerbilliscus leucogaster) is a species of gerbil found in Angola, Botswana, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Kenya, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, South Africa, Eswatini, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are dry savanna, subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry lowland grassland, and hot deserts.
Animals of the same family as a Bushveld gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Peters’s striped mouse with a weight of 54 grams
- Nephelomys keaysi with a weight of 58 grams
- New Guinean rat with a weight of 133 grams
- Southern multimammate mouse with a weight of 53 grams
- Large Luzon forest rat with a size of 24 cm (0′ 10″)
- Tullberg’s soft-furred mouse with a weight of 37 grams
- Kemp’s gerbil with a weight of 101 grams
- Maxomys baeodon with a weight of 159 grams
- Papua grassland mosaic-tailed rat with a size of 10.4 cm (0′ 5″)
- Champion’s tree mouse with a weight of 50 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Bushveld gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Gerbilliscus leucogaster:
- Master leaf-eared mouse bringing 68 grams to the scale
- Van Deusen’s rat bringing 67 grams to the scale
- Gray-footed chipmunk bringing 70 grams to the scale
- Euryoryzomys legatus bringing 61 grams to the scale
- Gray-cheeked flying squirrel bringing 63 grams to the scale
- Oryzomys couesi bringing 69 grams to the scale
- Bornean smooth-tailed treeshrew bringing 60 grams to the scale
- Southern mole vole bringing 80 grams to the scale
- Inca Oldfield mouse bringing 77 grams to the scale
- Ethiopian epauletted fruit bat bringing 66 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Bushveld gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (4) as a Bushveld gerbil: