Size is not all that matters. But still, we would love to know how big Charlotte in North Carolina is. Here is the answer:
Charlotte, North Carolina covers an area of 796.14 square kilometers (307.39 square miles).
With 731,424 people living in Charlotte that comes to a population density of 918.71 inhabitants per square kilometer (2379.47 / sq mi)
As a reference: The 8,398,748 people living in New York City are crammed onto 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi), which results into a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Charlotte () is the most populous city in the U.S. state of North Carolina. Located in the Piedmont, it is the county seat of Mecklenburg County. In 2019, the U.S. Census Bureau estimated the population was 885,708, making it the 15th-most populous city in the United States. The city is the cultural, economic, and transportation center of the Charlotte metropolitan area, whose population ranks 23rd in the U.S., and had a population of 2,569,213, in 2018. The Charlotte metropolitan area is part of a sixteen-county market region or combined statistical area with a 2018 census-estimated population of 2,728,933.Between 2004 and 2014, Charlotte was ranked as the country’s fastest-growing metro area, with 888,000 new residents. Based on U.S. Census data from 2005 to 2015, Charlotte tops the U.S. in millennial population growth. It is the second-largest city in the southeastern United States, just behind Jacksonville, Florida. It is the third-fastest-growing major city in the United States. It is listed as a “gamma” global city by the Globalization and World Cities Research Network. Residents are referred to as “Charlotteans”.Charlotte is home to the corporate headquarters of Bank of America, Truist Financial, and the east coast operations of Wells Fargo, which along with other financial institutions has made it the second-largest banking center in the United States since 1995.Among Charlotte’s many notable attractions, some of the most popular include the Carolina Panthers (NFL), the Charlotte Hornets (NBA), the NASCAR All-Star Race, the Wells Fargo Championship, the NASCAR Hall of Fame, the Charlotte Ballet, Children’s Theatre of Charlotte, Carowinds amusement park, and the U.S. National Whitewater Center.Charlotte has a humid subtropical climate. It is located several miles east of the Catawba River and southeast of Lake Norman, the largest man-made lake in North Carolina. Lake Wylie and Mountain Island Lake are two smaller man-made lakes located near the city.
Cities with a similar size as Charlotte
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Charlotte, North Carolina, here you go:
- New Orleans, Louisiana with a size of 906.10 square kilometers (906.10 sq mi), population: 378,715
- San Diego, California with a size of 964.50 square kilometers (964.50 sq mi), population: 1,394,928
- Indianapolis, Indiana with a size of 953.18 square kilometers (953.18 sq mi), population: 863,002
- Austin, Texas with a size of 827.51 square kilometers (827.51 sq mi), population: 912,791
- Augusta, Georgia with a size of 794.24 square kilometers (794.24 sq mi), population: 197,166
- Memphis, Tennessee with a size of 845.18 square kilometers (845.18 sq mi), population: 646,889
- El Paso, Texas with a size of 667.29 square kilometers (667.29 sq mi), population: 682,669
- Lexington, Kentucky with a size of 739.56 square kilometers (739.56 sq mi), population: 295,803
- Kansas City, Missouri with a size of 826.15 square kilometers (826.15 sq mi), population: 459,787
- Chesapeake, Virginia with a size of 908.90 square kilometers (908.90 sq mi), population: 230,571
Cities with a similar population density as Charlotte
Other cities that have a similar population density as Charlotte, North Carolina are:
- Wyoming, Michigan with a population density of 1,121 people per sq km (2,905 / sq mi).
- Jennings, Louisiana with a population density of 996 people per sq km (2,583 / sq mi).
- Elgin, Illinois with a population density of 1,101 people per sq km (2,852 / sq mi).
- Owensboro, Kentucky with a population density of 1,021 people per sq km (2,644 / sq mi).
- Brunswick, Ohio with a population density of 1,021 people per sq km (2,643 / sq mi).
- Atlantic City, New Jersey with a population density of 887 people per sq km (2,299 / sq mi).
- Clayton, California with a population density of 1,096 people per sq km (2,838 / sq mi).
- Lewisville, Texas with a population density of 861 people per sq km (2,230 / sq mi).
- Round Rock, Texas with a population density of 1,075 people per sq km (2,785 / sq mi).
- Garden City, Idaho with a population density of 991 people per sq km (2,570 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Charlotte
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Charlotte, North Carolina:
- Columbus, Ohio with a population of 787,033 people
- Louisville, Kentucky with a population of 760,026 people
- Las Vegas, Nevada with a population of 648,224 people
- Seattle, Washington with a population of 744,955 people
- Baltimore, Maryland with a population of 622,104 people
- Nashville, Tennessee with a population of 668,347 people
- Portland, Oregon with a population of 653,115 people
- Denver, Colorado with a population of 682,545 people
- Detroit, Michigan with a population of 680,250 people
- Duval County, Florida with a population of 885,855 people