Size is not all that matters. But still, we would love to know how big Port Washington in Wisconsin is. Here is the answer:
Port Washington, Wisconsin covers an area of 15.03 square kilometers (5.8 square miles).
With 11,250 people living in Port Washington that comes to a population density of 748.5 inhabitants per square kilometer (1939.66 / sq mi)
As a reference: The 8,398,748 people living in New York City are crammed onto 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi), which results into a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Port Washington is the county seat of Ozaukee County in the U.S. state of Wisconsin. Located on Lake Michigan’s western shore east of Interstate 43, the community is a suburb in the Milwaukee metropolitan area 27 miles north of the City of Milwaukee. The city’s artificial harbor at the mouth of Sauk Creek was dredged in the 1870s and was a commercial port until the early 2000s. The population was 11,250 at the 2010 census. When French explorers arrived in the area in the 17th century, they found a Native American village at the mouth of Sauk Creek – the present location of historic downtown Port Washington. The United State Federal Government forcibly expelled the Native Americans in the 1830s, and the first settlers arrived in 1835, calling their settlement “Wisconsin City” before renaming it “Port Washington” in honor of President George Washington. In the late 1840s and early 1850s, the community was a candidate to be the Washington County seat. Disagreements between municipalities and election fraud prevented Washington County from having a permanent seat of government until the Wisconsin State Legislature intervened, creating Ozaukee County out of the eastern third of Washington County and making Port Washington the seat of the new county.For much of its history, Port Washington has been tied to the Great Lakes. Early settlers used boats to transport goods including lumber, fish, and grains, although the community’s early years were marred by shipwrecks, which led the U.S. Federal Government to construct Port Washington Harbor in 1871. Commercial fishing prospered in Port Washington until the mid-20th century, and beginning in the 1930s, the Port Washington Generating Station used the harbor to receive large daily shipments of coal to burn for electricity. The commercial harbor closed in 2004 when the power station switched to natural gas for fuel, but the community maintains an active marina for recreational boaters. In the 21st century, Port Washington celebrates its lacustrine heritage with museums, public fish fries, sport fishing derbies, and sailboat races.
Cities with a similar size as Port Washington
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Port Washington, Wisconsin, here you go:
- Atwater, California with a size of 15.85 square kilometers (15.85 sq mi), population: 28,168
- Pleasant Hill, California with a size of 18.33 square kilometers (18.33 sq mi), population: 33,152
- Safety Harbor, Florida with a size of 13.10 square kilometers (13.10 sq mi), population: 16,884
- Eunice, Louisiana with a size of 13.31 square kilometers (13.31 sq mi), population: 10,398
- Monroe, Ohio with a size of 15.89 square kilometers (15.89 sq mi), population: 12,442
- Duarte, California with a size of 17.33 square kilometers (17.33 sq mi), population: 21,321
- Portales, New Mexico with a size of 18.22 square kilometers (18.22 sq mi), population: 12,280
- Mill Valley, California with a size of 12.55 square kilometers (12.55 sq mi), population: 13,903
- Midvale, Utah with a size of 15.31 square kilometers (15.31 sq mi), population: 27,029
- Amherst, Ohio with a size of 18.44 square kilometers (18.44 sq mi), population: 11,797
Cities with a similar population density as Port Washington
Other cities that have a similar population density as Port Washington, Wisconsin are:
- Bismarck, North Dakota with a population density of 701 people per sq km (1,816 / sq mi).
- Tyler, Texas with a population density of 655 people per sq km (1,696 / sq mi).
- Pflugerville, Texas with a population density of 794 people per sq km (2,056 / sq mi).
- Pearland, Texas with a population density of 903 people per sq km (2,337 / sq mi).
- Beaver Dam, Wisconsin with a population density of 733 people per sq km (1,896 / sq mi).
- Santa Barbara, California with a population density of 813 people per sq km (2,106 / sq mi).
- Rutland, Vermont with a population density of 829 people per sq km (2,148 / sq mi).
- Alexandria, Louisiana with a population density of 634 people per sq km (1,641 / sq mi).
- Stoughton, Wisconsin with a population density of 804 people per sq km (2,081 / sq mi).
- Wilmington, North Carolina with a population density of 854 people per sq km (2,212 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Port Washington
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Port Washington, Wisconsin:
- Belmont, North Carolina with a population of 10,076 people
- Larkspur, California with a population of 11,799 people
- Martinsville, Indiana with a population of 11,828 people
- Lynden, Washington with a population of 11,951 people
- Troy, Missouri with a population of 10,540 people
- Ventnor City, New Jersey with a population of 10,650 people
- Sauk Rapids, Minnesota with a population of 12,773 people
- The Dalles, Oregon with a population of 12,520 people
- Cordele, Georgia with a population of 11,147 people
- Lewisburg, Tennessee with a population of 11,101 people