Size is not all that matters. But still, we would love to know how big Sarasota in Florida is. Here is the answer:
Sarasota, Florida covers an area of 65.31 square kilometers (25.22 square miles).
With 53,326 people living in Sarasota that comes to a population density of 816.51 inhabitants per square kilometer (2114.43 / sq mi)
As a reference: The 8,398,748 people living in New York City are crammed onto 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi), which results into a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Sarasota () is a city in Sarasota County on the southwestern coast of the U.S. state of Florida. The area is renowned for its cultural and environmental amenities, beaches, resorts, and the Sarasota School of Architecture. The city is at the southern end of the Tampa Bay Area, north of Fort Myers and Punta Gorda. Its official limits include Sarasota Bay and several barrier islands between the bay and the Gulf of Mexico. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2018 Sarasota had a population of 57,738. In 1986 it became designated as a certified local government. Sarasota is a principal city of the Sarasota metropolitan area, and is the seat of Sarasota County.The islands separating Sarasota Bay from the gulf near the city, known as keys, include Lido Key and Siesta Key, which are famous worldwide for the quality of their sandy beaches. The keys that are included in the boundary of Sarasota are Lido Key, St. Armands Key, Otter Key, Casey Key, Coon Key, Bird Key, and portions of Siesta Key. Previously, Siesta Key was named Sarasota Key. At one time, it and all of Longboat Key were considered part of Sarasota and confusing contemporaneous references may be found discussing them.Longboat Key is the largest key separating the bay from the gulf, but it was evenly divided by the new county line of 1921. The portion of the key that parallels the Sarasota city boundary that extends to that new county line along the bay front of the mainland was removed from the city boundaries at the request of John Ringling in the mid-1920s, who sought to avoid city taxation of his planned developments at the southern tip of the key. Although they never were completed in the quickly faltering economy, those development concessions granted by the city never were reversed and the county has retained regulation of those lands.The city limits had expanded significantly with the real estate rush of the early twentieth century, reaching almost 70 square miles (180 km2). The wild speculation boom began to crash in 1926 and following that, the city limits began to contract, shrinking to less than a quarter of that area.
Cities with a similar size as Sarasota
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Sarasota, Florida, here you go:
- Eagle, Idaho with a size of 78.28 square kilometers (78.28 sq mi), population: 19,908
- Minot, North Dakota with a size of 69.72 square kilometers (69.72 sq mi), population: 40,888
- Belleville, Illinois with a size of 60.87 square kilometers (60.87 sq mi), population: 44,478
- Dearborn, Michigan with a size of 63.40 square kilometers (63.40 sq mi), population: 98,153
- Pleasanton, California with a size of 62.88 square kilometers (62.88 sq mi), population: 70,285
- Folsom, California with a size of 77.87 square kilometers (77.87 sq mi), population: 72,203
- Pascagoula, Mississippi with a size of 63.48 square kilometers (63.48 sq mi), population: 23,452
- Dunedin, Florida with a size of 73.13 square kilometers (73.13 sq mi), population: 35,321
- Mansfield, Ohio with a size of 80.10 square kilometers (80.10 sq mi), population: 50,212
- Petersburg, Virginia with a size of 60.04 square kilometers (60.04 sq mi), population: 32,538
Cities with a similar population density as Sarasota
Other cities that have a similar population density as Sarasota, Florida are:
- North Ogden, Utah with a population density of 939 people per sq km (2,430 / sq mi).
- Trenton, Michigan with a population density of 1,008 people per sq km (2,611 / sq mi).
- Lockport, New York with a population density of 968 people per sq km (2,505 / sq mi).
- Leawood, Kansas with a population density of 811 people per sq km (2,101 / sq mi).
- Saginaw, Texas with a population density of 1,010 people per sq km (2,616 / sq mi).
- Athens, Ohio with a population density of 820 people per sq km (2,124 / sq mi).
- East Liverpool, Ohio with a population density of 883 people per sq km (2,289 / sq mi).
- Vermillion, South Dakota with a population density of 991 people per sq km (2,566 / sq mi).
- Overland Park, Kansas with a population density of 885 people per sq km (2,292 / sq mi).
- Springfield, Missouri with a population density of 743 people per sq km (1,924 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Sarasota
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Sarasota, Florida:
- Pittsburg, California with a population of 63,264 people
- Dublin, California with a population of 49,890 people
- Palm Springs, California with a population of 44,552 people
- Corvallis, Oregon with a population of 54,462 people
- Niagara Falls, New York with a population of 49,468 people
- Arcadia, California with a population of 56,364 people
- Weymouth, Massachusetts with a population of 53,743 people
- Rock Hill, South Carolina with a population of 66,154 people
- Taunton, Massachusetts with a population of 55,874 people
- Oak Park, Illinois with a population of 51,878 people