Size is not all that matters. But still, we would love to know how big Sarasota in Florida is. Here is the answer:
Sarasota, Florida covers an area of 65.31 square kilometers (25.22 square miles).
With 51,917 people living in Sarasota that comes to a population density of 794.93 inhabitants per square kilometer (2058.56 / sq mi)
As a reference: The 8,398,748 people living in New York City are crammed onto 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi), which results into a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Sarasota () is a city in Sarasota County on the southwestern coast of the U.S. state of Florida. The area is renowned for its cultural and environmental amenities, beaches, resorts, and the Sarasota School of Architecture. The city is at the southern end of the Tampa Bay Area, north of Fort Myers and Punta Gorda. Its official limits include Sarasota Bay and several barrier islands between the bay and the Gulf of Mexico. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2018 Sarasota had a population of 57,738. In 1986 it became designated as a certified local government. Sarasota is a principal city of the Sarasota metropolitan area, and is the seat of Sarasota County.The islands separating Sarasota Bay from the gulf near the city, known as keys, include Lido Key and Siesta Key, which are famous worldwide for the quality of their sandy beaches. The keys that are included in the boundary of Sarasota are Lido Key, St. Armands Key, Otter Key, Casey Key, Coon Key, Bird Key, and portions of Siesta Key. Previously, Siesta Key was named Sarasota Key. At one time, it and all of Longboat Key were considered part of Sarasota and confusing contemporaneous references may be found discussing them.Longboat Key is the largest key separating the bay from the gulf, but it was evenly divided by the new county line of 1921. The portion of the key that parallels the Sarasota city boundary that extends to that new county line along the bay front of the mainland was removed from the city boundaries at the request of John Ringling in the mid-1920s, who sought to avoid city taxation of his planned developments at the southern tip of the key. Although they never were completed in the quickly faltering economy, those development concessions granted by the city never were reversed and the county has retained regulation of those lands.The city limits had expanded significantly with the real estate rush of the early twentieth century, reaching almost 70 square miles (180 km2). The wild speculation boom began to crash in 1926 and following that, the city limits began to contract, shrinking to less than a quarter of that area.
Cities with a similar size as Sarasota
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Sarasota, Florida, here you go:
- Great Falls, Montana with a size of 60.57 square kilometers (60.57 sq mi), population: 56,690
- Albany, New York with a size of 56.81 square kilometers (56.81 sq mi), population: 100,104
- Coachella, California with a size of 77.90 square kilometers (77.90 sq mi), population: 40,704
- Pasadena, California with a size of 59.90 square kilometers (59.90 sq mi), population: 137,122
- Huber Heights, Ohio with a size of 57.92 square kilometers (57.92 sq mi), population: 38,142
- Allen, Texas with a size of 68.60 square kilometers (68.60 sq mi), population: 99,175
- Dana Point, California with a size of 76.35 square kilometers (76.35 sq mi), population: 33,351
- Port Orange, Florida with a size of 74.68 square kilometers (74.68 sq mi), population: 56,048
- Brandon, Mississippi with a size of 66.70 square kilometers (66.70 sq mi), population: 16,436
- Statesville, North Carolina with a size of 62.76 square kilometers (62.76 sq mi), population: 24,532
Cities with a similar population density as Sarasota
Other cities that have a similar population density as Sarasota, Florida are:
- Fall River, Massachusetts with a population density of 853 people per sq km (2,209 / sq mi).
- Southbridge, Massachusetts with a population density of 800 people per sq km (2,072 / sq mi).
- Eden Prairie, Minnesota with a population density of 666 people per sq km (1,724 / sq mi).
- Canton, Illinois with a population density of 732 people per sq km (1,894 / sq mi).
- Loveland, Ohio with a population density of 931 people per sq km (2,412 / sq mi).
- Fort Atkinson, Wisconsin with a population density of 825 people per sq km (2,136 / sq mi).
- Port Washington, Wisconsin with a population density of 748 people per sq km (1,940 / sq mi).
- Carroll, Iowa with a population density of 681 people per sq km (1,763 / sq mi).
- Horizon City, Texas with a population density of 852 people per sq km (2,206 / sq mi).
- West Chicago, Illinois with a population density of 675 people per sq km (1,749 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Sarasota
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Sarasota, Florida:
- Kingsport, Tennessee with a population of 47,356 people
- Coeur d’Alene, Idaho with a population of 44,137 people
- Porterville, California with a population of 54,165 people
- Enid, Oklahoma with a population of 46,436 people
- Niagara Falls, New York with a population of 49,468 people
- Janesville, Wisconsin with a population of 63,575 people
- Casper, Wyoming with a population of 55,316 people
- Covina, California with a population of 47,796 people
- Columbus, Indiana with a population of 44,061 people
- Casa Grande, Arizona with a population of 48,571 people