Size is not all that matters. But still, we would love to know how big Virginia Beach in Virginia is. Here is the answer:
Virginia Beach, Virginia covers an area of 1288.52 square kilometers (497.5 square miles).
With 448,479 people living in Virginia Beach that comes to a population density of 348.06 inhabitants per square kilometer (901.47 / sq mi)
As a reference: The 8,398,748 people living in New York City are crammed onto 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi), which results into a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Virginia Beach is an independent city located on the southeastern coast of the Commonwealth of Virginia in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the population was 437,994; in 2018, it was estimated to be 449,974. Although mostly suburban in character, it is the most populous city in Virginia and the 44th most populous city in the nation.Located on the Atlantic Ocean at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, Virginia Beach is included in the Hampton Roads metropolitan area. This area, known as “America’s First Region”, also includes the independent cities of Chesapeake, Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Suffolk, as well as other smaller cities, counties, and towns of Hampton Roads.Virginia Beach is a resort city with miles of beaches and hundreds of hotels, motels, and restaurants along its oceanfront. Every year the city hosts the East Coast Surfing Championships as well as the North American Sand Soccer Championship, a beach soccer tournament. It is also home to several state parks, several long-protected beach areas, three military bases, a number of large corporations, Virginia Wesleyan University and Regent University, the international headquarters and site of the television broadcast studios for Pat Robertson’s Christian Broadcasting Network (CBN), Edgar Cayce’s Association for Research and Enlightenment, and numerous historic sites. Near the point where the Chesapeake Bay and the Atlantic Ocean meet, Cape Henry was the site of the first landing of the English colonists, who eventually settled in Jamestown, on April 26, 1607.The city is listed in the Guinness Book of Records as having the longest pleasure beach in the world. It is located at the southern end of the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnel, the longest bridge-tunnel complex in the world.
Cities with a similar size as Virginia Beach
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Virginia Beach, Virginia, here you go:
- San Antonio, Texas with a size of 1,208.78 square kilometers (1,208.78 sq mi), population: 1,436,697
- Phoenix, Arizona with a size of 1,343.94 square kilometers (1,343.94 sq mi), population: 1,626,078
- Los Angeles, California with a size of 1,302.15 square kilometers (1,302.15 sq mi), population: 3,976,322
- Suffolk, Virginia with a size of 1,110.86 square kilometers (1,110.86 sq mi), population: 85,728
- New York City, New York with a size of 1,214.00 square kilometers (1,214.00 sq mi), population: 8,398,748
- Nashville, Tennessee with a size of 1,367.25 square kilometers (1,367.25 sq mi), population: 668,347
- Oklahoma City, Oklahoma with a size of 1,607.56 square kilometers (1,607.56 sq mi), population: 591,967
- Corpus Christi, Texas with a size of 1,304.23 square kilometers (1,304.23 sq mi), population: 316,381
Cities with a similar population density as Virginia Beach
Other cities that have a similar population density as Virginia Beach, Virginia are:
- Jacksonville, Florida with a population density of 389 people per sq km (1,007 / sq mi).
- Ocean City, New Jersey with a population density of 418 people per sq km (1,083 / sq mi).
- Goose Creek, South Carolina with a population density of 330 people per sq km (854 / sq mi).
- Gulfport, Mississippi with a population density of 409 people per sq km (1,059 / sq mi).
- Bangor, Maine with a population density of 369 people per sq km (955 / sq mi).
- Hudson, Ohio with a population density of 346 people per sq km (895 / sq mi).
- Meridian, Mississippi with a population density of 291 people per sq km (755 / sq mi).
- Peoria, Arizona with a population density of 332 people per sq km (860 / sq mi).
- Moberly, Missouri with a population density of 426 people per sq km (1,103 / sq mi).
- Orange, Texas with a population density of 321 people per sq km (830 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Virginia Beach
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Virginia Beach, Virginia:
- Tucson, Arizona with a population of 520,116 people
- Albuquerque, New Mexico with a population of 559,277 people
- New Orleans, Louisiana with a population of 378,715 people
- Tulsa, Oklahoma with a population of 403,505 people
- Oakland, California with a population of 422,856 people
- Mesa, Arizona with a population of 439,041 people
- Raleigh, North Carolina with a population of 439,896 people
- Sacramento, California with a population of 485,199 people
- Omaha, Nebraska with a population of 466,893 people
- Colorado Springs, Colorado with a population of 416,427 people