How many baby Agile gracile opossums are in a litter?
A Agile gracile opossum (Gracilinanus agilis) usually gives birth to around 12 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2.1 kg (4.63 lbs) and measure 4.8 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Didelphidae family (genus: Gracilinanus). An adult Agile gracile opossum grows up to a size of 9.4 cm (0′ 4″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The agile gracile opossum (Gracilinanus agilis), is an opossum species from South America. It is found in Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Colombia, Peru, Paraguay, and Uruguay.It is nocturnal, arboreal and frequents the forest understory, where they use slender branches and vines. Found in evergreen and gallery forests. It is a characteristic inhabitant of the gallery forest of southern South America but has broad habitat tolerance. It has been caught under fallen trunks, in tree holes, and in moist woodland. It is reported to be an adept climber, and nests made of vegetation have been found 1.6 m off the ground. One such nest contained seven individuals. In eastern Paraguay it has usually been captured in vegetation but sometimes has been caught on the ground. This marsupial is found throughout the Brazilian cerrado, usually associated with mesic areas such as gallery forests. This mouse opossum is reported to have up to twelve young. Females lack a true pouch, and the teats remain hidden when the female is not lactating. Gracilinanus agilis has a semelparous life cycle.
Other animals of the family Didelphidae
Agile gracile opossum is a member of the Didelphidae, as are these animals:
- Red mouse opossum weighting only 63 grams
- Big-eared opossum with 6 babies per pregnancy
- White-eared opossum with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Northern gracile opossum with 5 babies per pregnancy
- White-bellied fat-tailed mouse opossum weighting only 15 grams
- Handley’s slender opossum weighting only 30 grams
- Black-shouldered opossum with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Southern three-striped opossum weighting only 112 grams
- Bishop’s slender opossum raching a size of 10.3 cm (0′ 5″)
- Little woolly mouse opossum raching a size of 13.7 cm (0′ 6″)
Animals that share a litter size with Agile gracile opossum
Those animals also give birth to 12 babies at once:
Animals with the same weight as a Agile gracile opossum
What other animals weight around 22 grams (0.05 lbs)?
- Aberdare mole shrew weighting 23 grams
- Van Gelder’s bat weighting 22 grams
- Oligoryzomys magellanicus weighting 25 grams
- Lesser mouse-eared bat weighting 21 grams
- Myotis vivesi weighting 25 grams
- Tonatia carrikeri weighting 22 grams
- Ugandan musk shrew weighting 23 grams
- Steppe field mouse weighting 20 grams
- Halcyon horseshoe bat weighting 18 grams
- Bidentate yellow-shouldered bat weighting 18 grams
Animals with the same size as a Agile gracile opossum
Also reaching around 9.4 cm (0′ 4″) in size do these animals:
- Mindanao shrew-rat gets as big as 9 cm (0′ 4″)
- Monito del monte gets as big as 10.5 cm (0′ 5″)
- Ammodile gets as big as 9.5 cm (0′ 4″)
- Wood mouse gets as big as 8.7 cm (0′ 4″)
- Mount Apo forest mouse gets as big as 10.9 cm (0′ 5″)
- Cape serotine gets as big as 8.2 cm (0′ 4″)
- Altiplano grass mouse gets as big as 9.7 cm (0′ 4″)
- New Guinean planigale gets as big as 7.7 cm (0′ 4″)
- Northern three-striped opossum gets as big as 10.7 cm (0′ 5″)
- Mindanao shrew-rat gets as big as 10.4 cm (0′ 5″)