How many baby Andean mouses are in a litter?
A Andean mouse (Andinomys edax) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 4.5 kg (9.92 lbs) and measure 4.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Andinomys). An adult Andean mouse grows up to a size of 1.45 meter (4′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Andean mouse (Andinomys edax) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is the only species in the genus Andinomys.It is found in Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, and Peru.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Andean mouse is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Black-tailed mosaic-tailed rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Kemp’s grass mouse weighting only 26 grams
- Olive grass mouse weighting only 39 grams
- Ethiopian striped mouse weighting only 18 grams
- Philippine forest rat weighting only 253 grams
- Chiapan climbing rat weighting only 280 grams
- Balochistan gerbil with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Winkelmann’s mouse weighting only 40 grams
- Gould’s mouse weighting only 49 grams
- Bismarck giant rat weighting only 613 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Andean mouse
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Mozambique thicket rat
- Cape hare
- Schlieffen’s bat
- Short-tailed gymnure
- Tolai hare
- Himalayan striped squirrel
- Temminck’s striped mouse
- American shrew mole
- Greater dwarf lemur
- Cairo spiny mouse
Animals with the same weight as a Andean mouse
What other animals weight around 69 grams (0.15 lbs)?
- Cliff chipmunk weighting 63 grams
- Oryzomys couesi weighting 69 grams
- Cinnamon antechinus weighting 71 grams
- Palmer’s chipmunk weighting 60 grams
- Coxing’s white-bellied rat weighting 80 grams
- Kalinowski’s Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Grassland mosaic-tailed rat weighting 71 grams
- Natal multimammate mouse weighting 62 grams
- Heath mouse weighting 72 grams
- Gray-footed chipmunk weighting 70 grams