How many baby Bennett’s chinchilla rats are in a litter?
A Bennett’s chinchilla rat (Abrocoma bennettii) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
They are a member of the Abrocomidae family (genus: Abrocoma).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Bennett’s chinchilla rat (Abrocoma bennettii) is a species of chinchilla rat in the family Abrocomidae. It is found only in Chile where its habitat is Mediterranean-type scrub on the western side of the Andes. The IUCN has assessed its conservation status as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Abrocomidae
Bennett’s chinchilla rat is a member of the Abrocomidae, as are these animals:
- Bolivian chinchilla rat weighting only 158 grams
- Ashy chinchilla rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Bennett’s chinchilla rat
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Eastern cottontail
- Cerradomys subflavus
- Sundevall’s jird
- Marsh rice rat
- Ornate shrew
- Sody’s tree rat
- Desert pygmy mouse
- Spermophilus relictus
- European water vole
Animals that get as old as a Bennett’s chinchilla rat
Other animals that usually reach the age of 2.25 years:
- Salt marsh harvest mouse with 2.58 years
- Müller’s giant Sunda rat with 2 years
- Vagrant shrew with 2.08 years
- Pen-tailed treeshrew with 2.67 years
- Robinson’s mouse opossum with 2 years
- Laxmann’s shrew with 2 years
- Fawn antechinus with 2.25 years
- Typical striped grass mouse with 2.5 years
- Dusky antechinus with 2 years
- Red-cheeked dunnart with 2 years
Animals with the same weight as a Bennett’s chinchilla rat
What other animals weight around 251 grams (0.55 lbs)?
- Squirrel glider weighting 230 grams
- Stoat weighting 284 grams
- Common punaré weighting 298 grams
- Southeastern pocket gopher weighting 201 grams
- Guyanan spiny rat weighting 284 grams
- Pseudocheirus schlegeli weighting 256 grams
- Ontong Java flying fox weighting 232 grams
- Dassie rat weighting 224 grams
- Argentine tuco-tuco weighting 221 grams
- Shiny guinea pig weighting 283 grams