How many baby Cinereus ringtail possums are in a litter?
A Cinereus ringtail possum (Pseudochirulus cinereus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 275 grams (0.61 lbs) and measure 4 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Pseudocheiridae family (genus: Pseudochirulus). An adult Cinereus ringtail possum grows up to a size of 22.3 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The cinereus ringtail possum (Pseudochirulus cinereus), also known as the Daintree River ringtail possum, is a species of possum found in northeastern Queensland, Australia. It was long believed to be the same as the Herbert River ringtail possum (P. herbertensis), but has recently been separated. The two species differ considerably in appearance.The cinereus ringtail possum is a cinnamon or brown colour, and has been said, like the lemur-like ringtail possum (Hemibelideus lemuroides), to resemble a lemur. It is found in montane tropical rainforest in three separate populations just north of Cairns: on Carbine Tableland, Mount Windsor Tableland and Thornton Peak massif.
Other animals of the family Pseudocheiridae
Cinereus ringtail possum is a member of the Pseudocheiridae, as are these animals:
- Plush-coated ringtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- D’Albertis’ ringtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Painted ringtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Herbert River ringtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Rock-haunting ringtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Weyland ringtail possum weighting only 456 grams
- Vogelkop ringtail possum weighting only 255 grams
- Green ringtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Common ringtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Pygmy ringtail possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Cinereus ringtail possum
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Least groove-toothed swamp rat
- Southern brown bandicoot
- Fraser’s musk shrew
- Cairo spiny mouse
- Black-tailed mouse
- Masked palm civet
- Tasmanian devil
- Yellow mongoose
- Yellow-spotted brush-furred rat
- Layard’s palm squirrel
Animals with the same weight as a Cinereus ringtail possum
What other animals weight around 977 grams (2.15 lbs)?
- Great flying fox usually reaching 1.02 kgs (2.25 lbs)
- Brown titi weighting 851 grams
- Raffray’s bandicoot weighting 905 grams
- Sunda flying lemur usually reaching 1.11 kgs (2.45 lbs)
- Striped polecat weighting 812 grams
- Rio Mayo titi weighting 992 grams
- Eastern barred bandicoot weighting 903 grams
- Tailless tenrec weighting 894 grams
- Indian giant squirrel usually reaching 1.06 kgs (2.34 lbs)
- Small-toothed sportive lemur weighting 955 grams