How many baby Ciscaucasian hamsters are in a litter?
A Ciscaucasian hamster (Mesocricetus raddei) usually gives birth to around 9 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 18 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 2 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.5 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Muridae family (genus: Mesocricetus). An adult Ciscaucasian hamster grows up to a size of 18 cm (0′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Ciscaucasian hamster (Mesocricetus raddei) is a species of rodent in the family Cricetidae. It is also known as the Georgian hamster and is found only in Georgia and Russia.
Other animals of the family Muridae
Ciscaucasian hamster is a member of the Muridae, as are these animals:
- Brazilian shrew mouse with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Dusky mosaic-tailed rat raching a size of 15.2 cm (0′ 6″)
- Webb’s tufted-tailed rat weighting only 61 grams
- Glacier rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Spy hocicudo weighting only 81 grams
- Striped field mouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Mount Isarog shrew-mouse weighting only 35 grams
- Neacomys spinosus weighting only 19 grams
- Mittendorf’s striped grass mouse weighting only 41 grams
- New Holland mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Ciscaucasian hamster
Those animals also give birth to 9 babies at once: