How many baby Climbing shrews are in a litter?
A Climbing shrew (Sylvisorex megalura) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 34 grams (0.07 lbs) and measure 11.2 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Soricidae family (genus: Sylvisorex). An adult Climbing shrew grows up to a size of 36.3 cm (1′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The climbing shrew (Suncus megalura) is a species of mammal in the family Soricidae, which is found in subtropical Africa. It is found in Angola, Benin, Burundi, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Republic of the Congo, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Ivory Coast, Ethiopia, Ghana, Guinea, Kenya, Liberia, Malawi, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Sierra Leone, South Sudan, Tanzania, Togo, Uganda, Zambia, and Zimbabwe. Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical moist lowland forest, subtropical or tropical moist montane forest, and moist savanna.
Other animals of the family Soricidae
Climbing shrew is a member of the Soricidae, as are these animals:
- Reddish-gray musk shrew with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Mexican shrew weighting only 11 grams
- Jackson’s shrew with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Blackish small-eared shrew weighting only 8 grams
- Transcaucasian water shrew raching a size of 8.6 cm (0′ 4″)
- Azumi shrew raching a size of 6 cm (0′ 3″)
- Inyo shrew weighting only 3 grams
- Lesser red musk shrew with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Apennine shrew weighting only 8 grams
- Northern short-tailed shrew with 5 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Climbing shrew
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Mongoose lemur
- Japanese serow
- Hamlyn’s monkey
- Northern greater galago
- Squirrel glider
- Long-legged bat
- Barbary sheep
- Homo sapiens
- Doria’s tree-kangaroo
- Water chevrotain
Animals with the same weight as a Climbing shrew
What other animals weight around 5 grams (0.01 lbs)?
- Silver-tipped myotis weighting 5 grams
- Salenski’s shrew weighting 5 grams
- Lesser sheath-tailed bat weighting 5 grams
- Mount Lyell shrew weighting 5 grams
- Delany’s mouse weighting 4 grams
- Lesser dwarf shrew weighting 5 grams
- Merriam’s shrew weighting 5 grams
- Common thick-thumbed bat weighting 4 grams
- Somali serotine weighting 4 grams
- Sahelian tiny shrew weighting 6 grams