How many baby Complex-toothed flying squirrels are in a litter?
A Complex-toothed flying squirrel (Trogopterus xanthipes) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 80 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 29.62 kg (65.3 lbs) and measure 12.5 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Sciuridae family (genus: Trogopterus). An adult Complex-toothed flying squirrel grows up to a size of 47.4 cm (1′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The complex-toothed flying squirrel (Trogopterus xanthipes) occurs in the southern Chinese provinces Hubei, Hunan, Guizhou, Sichuan, and Yunnan. The common name refers to the teeth, which differ from those of other species of flying squirrels.
Other animals of the family Sciuridae
Complex-toothed flying squirrel is a member of the Sciuridae, as are these animals:
- Red-tailed chipmunk with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Cascade golden-mantled ground squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Neotropical pygmy squirrel with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Northern Idaho ground squirrel with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Collie’s squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Vordermann’s flying squirrel with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Mexican prairie dog with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Groundhog with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Kintampo rope squirrel weighting only 186 grams
- Borneo black-banded squirrel with 3 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Complex-toothed flying squirrel
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Greater dog-like bat
- Sumatran rhinoceros
- Mediterranean monk seal
- Parti-coloured bat
- Indiana bat
- Burchell’s zebra
- Ringed seal
- Sloth bear
- Western brush wallaby
- Spectral tarsier
Animals that get as old as a Complex-toothed flying squirrel
Other animals that usually reach the age of 12 years:
- Mountain reedbuck with 12.25 years
- Agile wallaby with 12 years
- Blanford’s fox with 10 years
- African wild dog with 11 years
- Golden hamster with 10 years
- Speke’s gazelle with 12.67 years
- Striped polecat with 13.33 years
- Waterhouse’s leaf-nosed bat with 10.42 years
- Suni with 14 years
- Pampas fox with 13.67 years