How many baby Grayish mouse opossums are in a litter?
A Grayish mouse opossum (Marmosa canescens) usually gives birth to around 8 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 110 grams (0.24 lbs) and measure 13.3 cm (0′ 6″). They are a member of the Didelphidae family (genus: Marmosa). An adult Grayish mouse opossum grows up to a size of 48.9 cm (1′ 8″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The grayish mouse opossum (Tlacuatzin canescens) is a species of opossum endemic to Mexico. It is the sole species in the genus Tlacuatzin.
Other animals of the family Didelphidae
Grayish mouse opossum is a member of the Didelphidae, as are these animals:
- White-bellied woolly mouse opossum with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Karimi’s fat-tailed mouse opossum raching a size of 9.5 cm (0′ 4″)
- Gray short-tailed opossum with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Southern three-striped opossum weighting only 112 grams
- Bishop’s slender opossum raching a size of 10.3 cm (0′ 5″)
- Big-eared opossum with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Alston’s mouse opossum weighting only 132 grams
- Common opossum with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Anderson’s four-eyed opossum becoming 0.75 years old
- Pygmy short-tailed opossum weighting only 11 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Grayish mouse opossum
Those animals also give birth to 8 babies at once:
- Steppe pika
- African wild dog
- European polecat
- Thirteen-lined ground squirrel
- Campbell’s dwarf hamster
- Dusky antechinus
- Cinnamon antechinus
- Virginia opossum
- Golden hamster
- Chestnut dunnart
Animals with the same weight as a Grayish mouse opossum
What other animals weight around 48 grams (0.11 lbs)?
- Arrow flying squirrel weighting 49 grams
- Verreaux’s mouse weighting 41 grams
- Tawny deer mouse weighting 40 grams
- Painted big-eared mouse weighting 51 grams
- Paramo hocicudo weighting 41 grams
- Crested-tailed deer mouse weighting 40 grams
- East African little collared fruit bat weighting 53 grams
- Flat-headed vole weighting 50 grams
- Hainan gymnure weighting 52 grams
- Cabrera’s vole weighting 52 grams