How many baby Handley’s tailless bats are in a litter?
A Handley’s tailless bat (Anoura cultrata) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Phyllostomidae family (genus: Anoura). An adult Handley’s tailless bat grows up to a size of 5.8 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Handley’s tailless bat (Anoura cultrata) is a species of bat in the family Phyllostomidae. It is found in Bolivia, Colombia, Costa Rica, Ecuador, Panama, Peru, and Venezuela.
Other animals of the family Phyllostomidae
Handley’s tailless bat is a member of the Phyllostomidae, as are these animals:
- Leach’s single leaf bat weighting only 8 grams
- Little yellow-shouldered bat weighting only 20 grams
- Eldorado broad-nosed bat weighting only 35 grams
- Northern little yellow-eared bat weighting only 7 grams
- Ega long-tongued bat weighting only 49 grams
- Brock’s yellow-eared bat weighting only 48 grams
- Hairy fruit-eating bat weighting only 40 grams
- Pale spear-nosed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Greater spear-nosed bat becoming 10 years old
- Vampyriscus nymphaea weighting only 69 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Handley’s tailless bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Jamaican fruit bat
- Collared peccary
- Broom hare
- Southern tree hyrax
- Pygmy tarsier
- Servaline genet
- Subantarctic fur seal
- Thomas’s sac-winged bat
- North American porcupine
Animals with the same weight as a Handley’s tailless bat
What other animals weight around 17 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Moss-forest blossom bat weighting 20 grams
- Visored bat weighting 16 grams
- Davis’s round-eared bat weighting 20 grams
- Welwitsch’s bat weighting 15 grams
- Taphozous philippinensis weighting 20 grams
- Père David’s vole weighting 19 grams
- Small-toothed harvest mouse weighting 20 grams
- Trefoil horseshoe bat weighting 15 grams
- True’s shrew mole weighting 15 grams
- Narrow-nosed harvest mouse weighting 20 grams