How many baby Hodgson’s brown-toothed shrews are in a litter?
A Hodgson’s brown-toothed shrew (Episoriculus caudatus) usually gives birth to around 4 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 674 grams (1.49 lbs) and measure 3.6 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Soricidae family (genus: Episoriculus). An adult Hodgson’s brown-toothed shrew grows up to a size of 6.5 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
Hodgson’s brown-toothed shrew (Episoriculus caudatus) is a species of mammal in the family Soricidae. It is found in China, India, and Myanmar.
Other animals of the family Soricidae
Hodgson’s brown-toothed shrew is a member of the Soricidae, as are these animals:
- Aberdare mole shrew with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Goldman’s broad-clawed shrew weighting only 6 grams
- Eurasian least shrew with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Ornate shrew with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Peters’s musk shrew with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Crawford’s gray shrew with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Slender shrew with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Flat-skulled shrew with 7 babies per pregnancy
- Nigerian shrew weighting only 23 grams
- Sclater’s shrew weighting only 7 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Hodgson’s brown-toothed shrew
Those animals also give birth to 4 babies at once:
- Lataste’s gerbil
- Pousargues’s mongoose
- Western pygmy possum
- Red-tailed chipmunk
- Hoary marmot
- California vole
- Sundevall’s jird
- Little pocket mouse
- Shrew gymnure
- Hooded skunk
Animals with the same size as a Hodgson’s brown-toothed shrew
Also reaching around 6.5 cm (0′ 3″) in size do these animals:
- Fat mouse gets as big as 5.8 cm (0′ 3″)
- Natal multimammate mouse gets as big as 6 cm (0′ 3″)
- White-eared pocket mouse gets as big as 7.5 cm (0′ 3″)
- Underwood’s long-tongued bat gets as big as 5.9 cm (0′ 3″)
- Chinese shrew mole gets as big as 7.2 cm (0′ 3″)
- Mediterranean water shrew gets as big as 7.5 cm (0′ 3″)
- Plains pocket mouse gets as big as 6.9 cm (0′ 3″)
- Lesser mouse-tailed bat gets as big as 5.9 cm (0′ 3″)
- Drouhard’s shrew tenrec gets as big as 7.3 cm (0′ 3″)
- Eurasian pygmy shrew gets as big as 5.7 cm (0′ 3″)