How many baby Seven-banded armadillos are in a litter?
A Seven-banded armadillo (Dasypus septemcinctus) usually gives birth to around 6 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 120 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 96 grams (0.21 lbs) and measure 3.9 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Dasypodidae family (genus: Dasypus). An adult Seven-banded armadillo grows up to a size of 44.3 cm (1′ 6″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The seven-banded, long-nosed armadillo or just seven-banded armadillo, Dasypus septemcinctus, is a species of armadillo from South America found in Paraguay, Argentina, Bolivia and Brazil.It is a solitary nocturnal, terrestrial animal, living mostly in dry habitats, outside of rainforest regions.
Other animals of the family Dasypodidae
Seven-banded armadillo is a member of the Dasypodidae, as are these animals:
- Hairy long-nosed armadillo weighting around 4.44 kilograms (9.79 lbs)
- Greater fairy armadillo becoming 12 years old
- Screaming hairy armadillo weighting only 930 grams
- Six-banded armadillo with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Giant armadillo with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Southern long-nosed armadillo with 8 babies per pregnancy
- Big hairy armadillo with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Llanos long-nosed armadillo with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Greater long-nosed armadillo with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Pink fairy armadillo weighting only 86 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Seven-banded armadillo
Those animals also give birth to 6 babies at once:
- Uinta chipmunk
- Mindoro black rat
- Common shrew
- Mohave ground squirrel
- Julia Creek dunnart
- California ground squirrel
- Philippine warty pig
- Crest-tailed mulgara
- South African pouched mouse
- Bornean bearded pig
Animals with the same weight as a Seven-banded armadillo
What other animals weight around 1.53 kg (3.37 lbs)?
- Nasuella olivacea usually reaching 1.34 kgs (2.95 lbs)
- Gambian pouched rat usually reaching 1.27 kgs (2.8 lbs)
- Mountain cuscus usually reaching 1.82 kgs (4.01 lbs)
- Chacoan naked-tailed armadillo usually reaching 1.49 kgs (3.28 lbs)
- Telefomin cuscus usually reaching 1.44 kgs (3.17 lbs)
- African savanna hare usually reaching 1.77 kgs (3.9 lbs)
- Northern olingo usually reaching 1.25 kgs (2.76 lbs)
- Tree pangolin usually reaching 1.54 kgs (3.4 lbs)
- Beech marten usually reaching 1.67 kgs (3.68 lbs)
- Platypus usually reaching 1.48 kgs (3.26 lbs)