How many baby Spectacled dormouses are in a litter?
A Spectacled dormouse (Graphiurus ocularis) usually gives birth to around 5 babies.With 2 litters per year, that sums up to a yearly offspring of 10 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 3.7 cm (0′ 2″). They are a member of the Myoxidae family (genus: Graphiurus). An adult Spectacled dormouse grows up to a size of 7.5 cm (0′ 3″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The spectacled dormouse or namtap (Graphiurus ocularis) is a species of rodent in the family Gliridae, and one of four dormouse species endemic to South Africa.It has a bushy, squirrel-like tail, a fairly short muzzle, small ears and soft fur. Its face is marked with white and grey, with dark rings (spectacles) around its eyes. Its cheeks, underparts and the upper surfaces of its paws are white. Its tail is also usually tipped with white.Its distribution is restricted to the Cederberg in western South Africa, and it is associated with rocky habitats, as well as trees and outbuildings. It is nocturnal and an agile climber. Its diet consists primarily of seeds, other plant material and invertebrates.
Other animals of the family Myoxidae
Spectacled dormouse is a member of the Myoxidae, as are these animals:
- Kellen’s dormouse with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Rock dormouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Kellen’s dormouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Desert dormouse with 6 babies per pregnancy
- Lorrain dormouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Silent dormouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Christy’s dormouse with 5 babies per pregnancy
- Woolly dormouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Japanese dormouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Chinese dormouse weighting only 31 grams
Animals that share a litter size with Spectacled dormouse
Those animals also give birth to 5 babies at once:
- Long-tailed shrew
- Long-tailed vole
- Christy’s dormouse
- Ural field mouse
- Long-tailed dwarf hamster
- Eurasian harvest mouse
- Pilbara ningaui
- White-tailed prairie dog
- Paucident planigale
- Pale field rat
Animals with the same weight as a Spectacled dormouse
What other animals weight around 68 grams (0.15 lbs)?
- Gray-collared chipmunk weighting 61 grams
- Norway lemming weighting 67 grams
- Moncton’s mosaic-tailed rat weighting 80 grams
- Long-tailed fruit bat weighting 68 grams
- Temminck’s striped mouse weighting 60 grams
- Ashy-bellied Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams
- Geoffroy’s rousette weighting 74 grams
- Red-tailed chipmunk weighting 60 grams
- California chipmunk weighting 73 grams
- Common mole-rat weighting 74 grams