How many baby Trinidad spiny pocket mouses are in a litter?
A Trinidad spiny pocket mouse (Heteromys anomalus) usually gives birth to around 2 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.3 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Heteromyidae family (genus: Heteromys). An adult Trinidad spiny pocket mouse grows up to a size of 46.9 cm (1′ 7″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Trinidad spiny pocket mouse (Heteromys anomalus) is a species of rodent in the family Heteromyidae. It is found in Colombia, Trinidad and Tobago, and Venezuela.
Other animals of the family Heteromyidae
Trinidad spiny pocket mouse is a member of the Heteromyidae, as are these animals:
- Gulf Coast kangaroo rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lined pocket mouse weighting only 23 grams
- Little pocket mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Silky pocket mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Narrow-faced kangaroo rat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Hispid pocket mouse with 3 babies per pregnancy
- Great Basin pocket mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- California pocket mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- San Joaquin pocket mouse with 4 babies per pregnancy
- Panamint kangaroo rat with 2 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Trinidad spiny pocket mouse
Those animals also give birth to 2 babies at once:
- Myosorex varius
- Indian hedgehog
- Angoni vlei rat
- Little pied bat
- Fossa (animal)
- Somali serotine
- Banana climbing mouse
- African wading rat
Animals with the same weight as a Trinidad spiny pocket mouse
What other animals weight around 69 grams (0.15 lbs)?
- Gray leaf-eared mouse weighting 68 grams
- Arianus’s rat weighting 70 grams
- Whitehead’s spiny rat weighting 57 grams
- Andean mouse weighting 69 grams
- Vampyriscus nymphaea weighting 69 grams
- Least weasel weighting 79 grams
- Red-bellied mosaic-tailed rat weighting 78 grams
- Red-tailed chipmunk weighting 60 grams
- Aquatic rat weighting 66 grams
- Peruvian Oldfield mouse weighting 77 grams