How many baby Walia ibexs are in a litter?
A Walia ibex (Capra walie) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 157 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 2.78 kg (6.13 lbs) and measure 37.5 cm (1′ 3″). They are a member of the Bovidae family (genus: Capra). An adult Walia ibex grows up to a size of 1.2 meter (4′ 0″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The walia ibex (Capra walie, Ge’ez: ዋልያ wālyā) is an endangered species of ibex. It is sometimes considered a subspecies of the Alpine ibex. Threats against the species include habitat loss, poaching, and restricted range; only about 500 individuals survived in the mountains of Ethiopia, concentrated in the Semien Mountains, largely due to past poaching and habitat depletion. If the population were to increase, the surrounding mountain habitat would be sufficient to sustain only 2,000 ibex. The adult walia ibex’s only known wild predator is the hyena. However, young ibex are often hunted by a variety of fox and cat species. The ibex are members of the goat family, and the walia ibex is the southernmost of today’s ibexes. In the late 1990s, the walia ibex went from endangered to critically endangered due to the declining population. The walia ibex is also known as the Abyssinian ibex.
Other animals of the family Bovidae
Walia ibex is a member of the Bovidae, as are these animals:
- Roan antelope with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Nilgiri tahr with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Mountain gazelle with 1 babies per pregnancy
- American bison with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Tibetan antelope with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Impala with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Suni with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Blue wildebeest with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Giant eland becoming 16.17 years old
- Iberian ibex with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Walia ibex
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Pemba flying fox
- Three-striped night monkey
- Spotted-winged fruit bat
- Black howler
- Collared peccary
- Olive colobus
- Roan antelope
- Spectacled bear
- Western gorilla
- Four-toed elephant shrew
Animals with the same weight as a Walia ibex
What other animals weight around 99.77 kg (219.96 lbs)?
- Barbary sheep usually reaching 93.7 kgs (206.57 lbs)
- Argali usually reaching 113.67 kgs (250.6 lbs)
- Atlantic humpback dolphin usually reaching 100 kgs (220.46 lbs)
- Reindeer usually reaching 108.73 kgs (239.71 lbs)
- Nyala usually reaching 87.31 kgs (192.49 lbs)
- Juan Fernández fur seal usually reaching 95 kgs (209.44 lbs)
- Atlantic spotted dolphin usually reaching 110 kgs (242.51 lbs)
- Jaguar usually reaching 84.26 kgs (185.76 lbs)
- Antarctic fur seal usually reaching 96.6 kgs (212.97 lbs)
- Ribbon seal usually reaching 90 kgs (198.42 lbs)