How many baby Western woolly lemurs are in a litter?
A Western woolly lemur (Avahi occidentalis) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 3 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 11.1 cm (0′ 5″). They are a member of the Indriidae family (genus: Avahi). An adult Western woolly lemur grows up to a size of 21.1 cm (0′ 9″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The western woolly lemur or western avahi (Avahi occidentalis) is a species of woolly lemur native to western Madagascar, where they live in dry deciduous forests. These nocturnal animals weigh 0.7-0.9 kg. It is a folivorous species.The western woolly lemurs live in monogamous pairs together with their offspring.
Other animals of the family Indriidae
Western woolly lemur is a member of the Indriidae, as are these animals:
- Milne-Edwards’s sifaka weighting around 6.57 kilograms (14.48 lbs)
- Coquerel’s sifaka with 1 babies per pregnancy
Animals that share a litter size with Western woolly lemur
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- South Asian river dolphin
- Rough-haired golden mole
- Sri Lankan spotted chevrotain
- Kerivoula hardwickei
- Mantled howler
- Rhesus macaque
- Kolan vole
- Bulmer’s fruit bat
- Asian elephant
Animals with the same weight as a Western woolly lemur
What other animals weight around 828 grams (1.83 lbs)?
- Brush rabbit weighting 716 grams
- Mexican prairie dog weighting 900 grams
- D’Albertis’ ringtail possum weighting 796 grams
- Narrow-striped mongoose weighting 664 grams
- David’s echymipera weighting 817 grams
- Eastern white-eared giant rat weighting 867 grams
- Mottle-faced tamarin weighting 803 grams
- Cinereus ringtail possum weighting 977 grams
- Muskrat weighting 992 grams
- Black-bearded flying fox weighting 872 grams