How many baby White-bellied yellow bats are in a litter?
A White-bellied yellow bat (Scotophilus leucogaster) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Each of those little ones spend around 228 days as a fetus before they are released into the wild. Upon birth, they weight 6 grams (0.01 lbs) and measure 1.6 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Vespertilionidae family (genus: Scotophilus). An adult White-bellied yellow bat grows up to a size of 23.6 cm (0′ 10″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The white-bellied yellow bat (Scotophilus leucogaster) or white-bellied house bat, is a species of vesper bat in the genus Scotophilus, the house bats. It can be found in Angola, Benin, Botswana, Burkina Faso, Cameroon, Central African Republic, Chad, Ivory Coast, Gambia, Ghana, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Kenya, Mali, Mauritania, Namibia, Niger, Nigeria, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Sudan, Togo, Uganda, and Zambia. It is found in dry and moist savanna and open woodland. It is a common species with a very wide range, and the International Union for Conservation of Nature has assessed its conservation status as being of “least concern”.
Other animals of the family Vespertilionidae
White-bellied yellow bat is a member of the Vespertilionidae, as are these animals:
- Japanese house bat with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Black myotis becoming 3.5 years old
- Least long-fingered bat weighting only 4 grams
- Rafinesque’s big-eared bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Lesser bamboo bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Large-footed bat with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Brown pipistrelle weighting only 6 grams
- Fraternal myotis with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Ridley’s bat weighting only 4 grams
- Cinnamon myotis weighting only 4 grams
Animals that share a litter size with White-bellied yellow bat
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once:
- Lion-tailed macaque
- Sykes’ monkey
- Greater glider
- Smoky flying squirrel
- Delicate mouse
- Northern bat
- Striped possum
- Rock-haunting ringtail possum
Animals with the same weight as a White-bellied yellow bat
What other animals weight around 20 grams (0.04 lbs)?
- Melissa’s yellow-eared bat weighting 16 grams
- Western red-backed vole weighting 18 grams
- Brown fruit-eating bat weighting 19 grams
- Ultimate shrew weighting 16 grams
- Shrew-toothed shrew tenrec weighting 18 grams
- Red fruit bat weighting 21 grams
- Spiny pocket mouse weighting 16 grams
- Greenish yellow bat weighting 19 grams
- Agile gracile opossum weighting 22 grams
- Nigerian free-tailed bat weighting 20 grams