It is hard to guess what a African forest elephant weights. But we have the answer:
An adult African forest elephant (Loxodonta cyclotis) on average weights 4750 kg (10471.95 lbs).
The African forest elephant is from the family Elephantidae (genus: Loxodonta). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 51 cm (1′ 9″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The African forest elephant (Loxodonta cyclotis) is one of the two living African elephant species. It is native to humid forests in West Africa and the Congo Basin. It is the smallest of the three living elephant species, reaching a shoulder height of 2.4 m (7 ft 10 in). Both sexes have straight, downpointing tusks, which erupt when they are 1–3 years old. It lives in family groups of up to 20 individuals. Since it forages on leaves, seeds, fruit, and tree bark, it has been referred to as the ‘megagardener of the forest’. It contributes significantly to maintain the composition and structure of the Guinean Forests of West Africa and the Congolese rainforests.The first scientific description of the species was published in 1900. During the 20th century, the population declined due to hunting to less than 30,000 individuals estimated in 2013. It is threatened by habitat loss, fragmentation and poaching. The conservation status of populations varies across range countries.
Animals of the same family as a African forest elephant
We found other animals of the Elephantidae family:
- African bush elephant bringing 3882.27 kilos (8558.93 lbs) to the scale
- Asian elephant bringing 3294.9 kilos (7264 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a African forest elephant
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Loxodonta cyclotis:
- Common minke whale with a weight of 5588.55 kilos (12320.63 lbs)
- Stejneger’s beaked whale with a weight of 4800 kilos (10582.18 lbs)
- African bush elephant with a weight of 3882.27 kilos (8558.93 lbs)
- Gervais’ beaked whale with a weight of 5600 kilos (12345.87 lbs)
- Killer whale with a weight of 5629.17 kilos (12410.18 lbs)
- Steller’s sea cow with a weight of 4000 kilos (8818.48 lbs)
- Cuvier’s beaked whale with a weight of 4772.5 kilos (10521.55 lbs)