It is hard to guess what a Brandt’s bat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Brandt’s bat (Myotis brandti) on average weights 5 grams (0.01 lbs).
The Brandt’s bat is from the family Vespertilionidae (genus: Myotis). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 6.9 cm (0′ 3″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Brandt’s bat (Myotis brandtii) is a species of vesper bat in the family Vespertilionidae.It is found throughout most of Europe and parts of Asia. It is known for its extreme life expectancy relative to its body size, approximately twice that of humans.The Brandt’s bat holds the record for oldest bat recorded; in 2005, a bat was discovered in a cave in Siberia that had been banded in 1964, making the bat at least 41 years old.
Animals of the same family as a Brandt’s bat
We found other animals of the Vespertilionidae family:
- Botta’s serotine with a weight of 15 grams
- Greater Papuan pipistrelle with a weight of 6 grams
- Daubenton’s bat with a weight of 7 grams
- Miniopterus macrocneme with a weight of 7 grams
- Cape serotine with a weight of 6 grams
- Nyctophilus geoffroyi with a weight of 2 grams
- Glen’s wattled bat with a weight of 10 grams
- Mexican big-eared bat with a weight of 7 grams
- Rohu’s bat with a weight of 12 grams
- Beatrix’s bat with a weight of 7 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Brandt’s bat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Myotis brandti:
- Insular horseshoe bat bringing 4 grams to the scale
- Little big-eared bat bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Marshall’s horseshoe bat bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Iberian shrew bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Trinidadian funnel-eared bat bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Tiny fat mouse bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Pacific sheath-tailed bat bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Japanese house bat bringing 5 grams to the scale
- Laxmann’s shrew bringing 6 grams to the scale
- Malagasy serotine bringing 6 grams to the scale