It is hard to guess what a Brown hairy dwarf porcupine weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Brown hairy dwarf porcupine (Sphiggurus vestitus) on average weights 736 grams (1.62 lbs).
The Brown hairy dwarf porcupine is from the family Erethizontidae (genus: Sphiggurus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 16.6 cm (0′ 7″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The brown hairy dwarf porcupine (Coendou vestitus) is a species of rodent in the family Erethizontidae. Found in the Andes in Colombia and Venezuela, its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical moist lowland forests. It is not easy to study as it is only known from a few specimens and wasn’t recorded from 1925 until the 2000s. The porcupine is nocturnal and arboreal, feeding on leaves, shoots, and fruits. Habitat loss severely threatens it and it may even be extinct. Formerly listed as vulnerable, it is now designated data deficient. It is not known from any protected areas or conservation measures.This species was formerly sometimes assigned to Sphiggurus, a genus no longer recognized since genetic studies showed it to be polyphyletic. Its closest relative is the frosted hairy dwarf porcupine (Coendou pruinosus).
Animals of the same family as a Brown hairy dwarf porcupine
We found other animals of the Erethizontidae family:
- Mexican hairy dwarf porcupine bringing 2 kilos (4.41 lbs) to the scale
- Black dwarf porcupine bringing 3 kilos (6.61 lbs) to the scale
- Paraguaian hairy dwarf porcupine bringing 1.75 kilos (3.86 lbs) to the scale
- Brazilian porcupine bringing 4.12 kilos (9.08 lbs) to the scale
- North American porcupine bringing 7.42 kilos (16.36 lbs) to the scale
- Stump-tailed porcupine with a weight of 832 grams
- Rothschild’s porcupine bringing 2 kilos (4.41 lbs) to the scale
- Bicolored-spined porcupine bringing 4.49 kilos (9.9 lbs) to the scale
- Bahia porcupine with a weight of 999 grams
- Paraguaian hairy dwarf porcupine with a weight of 751 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Brown hairy dwarf porcupine
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Sphiggurus vestitus:
- Brown titi bringing 851 grams to the scale
- Meerkat bringing 730 grams to the scale
- Solomons flying fox bringing 661 grams to the scale
- New England cottontail bringing 814 grams to the scale
- American marten bringing 878 grams to the scale
- Southern white-breasted hedgehog bringing 690 grams to the scale
- Milne-Edwards’ sportive lemur bringing 822 grams to the scale
- Peruvian night monkey bringing 800 grams to the scale
- Rock squirrel bringing 715 grams to the scale
- Cape dune mole-rat bringing 804 grams to the scale