It is hard to guess what a Eastern gorilla weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Eastern gorilla (Gorilla beringei) on average weights 149.33 kg (329.2 lbs).
The Eastern gorilla is from the family Hominidae (genus: Gorilla). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 16.7 cm (0′ 7″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The eastern gorilla (Gorilla beringei) is a critically endangered species of the genus Gorilla and the largest living primate. At present, the species is subdivided into two subspecies. Grauer’s gorilla, formerly known as the eastern lowland gorilla (G. b. graueri) is more populous, at about 3,800 individuals. The mountain gorilla (G. b. beringei) has only about 1,000 individuals. The International Union for the Conservation of Nature mentioned illegal hunting in its assessment of threats to the species.
Animals of the same family as a Eastern gorilla
We found other animals of the Hominidae family:
- Bonobo bringing 35.15 kilos (77.49 lbs) to the scale
- Homo sapiens bringing 58.62 kilos (129.23 lbs) to the scale
- Bornean orangutan bringing 52.97 kilos (116.78 lbs) to the scale
- Western gorilla bringing 113.29 kilos (249.76 lbs) to the scale
- Chimpanzee bringing 45.03 kilos (99.27 lbs) to the scale
- Sumatran orangutan bringing 39.7 kilos (87.52 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Eastern gorilla
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Gorilla beringei:
- Mountain tapir with a weight of 155.46 kilos (342.73 lbs)
- Harp seal with a weight of 132.25 kilos (291.56 lbs)
- Common tsessebe with a weight of 133.5 kilos (294.32 lbs)
- Tiger with a weight of 162.28 kilos (357.77 lbs)
- Brown fur seal with a weight of 178.75 kilos (394.08 lbs)
- California sea lion with a weight of 137.6 kilos (303.36 lbs)
- Thorold’s deer with a weight of 161 kilos (354.94 lbs)
- Fraser’s dolphin with a weight of 164 kilos (361.56 lbs)
- Spectacled bear with a weight of 123.09 kilos (271.37 lbs)
- Rough-toothed dolphin with a weight of 130 kilos (286.6 lbs)