It is hard to guess what a Gray-bellied night monkey weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Gray-bellied night monkey (Aotus hershkovitzi) on average weights 800 grams (1.76 lbs).
The Gray-bellied night monkey is from the family Cebidae (genus: Aotus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 83.7 cm (2′ 9″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The gray-bellied night monkey (Aotus lemurinus), also called the grey-legged douroucouli or lemurine owl monkey, is a small New World monkey of the family Aotidae. Native to tropical and subtropical forests of South America, the gray-bellied night monkey faces a significant threat from hunting, harvesting for use in pharmaceutical research and habitat destruction.
Animals of the same family as a Gray-bellied night monkey
We found other animals of the Cebidae family:
- Central American squirrel monkey with a weight of 714 grams
- Black-capped squirrel monkey with a weight of 802 grams
- Brown titi with a weight of 851 grams
- Tufted capuchin bringing 2.76 kilos (6.08 lbs) to the scale
- Chestnut-bellied titi with a weight of 992 grams
- Red-faced spider monkey bringing 8.7 kilos (19.18 lbs) to the scale
- Maués marmoset with a weight of 443 grams
- Rio Tapajós saki bringing 2.31 kilos (5.09 lbs) to the scale
- White-bellied spider monkey bringing 6.71 kilos (14.79 lbs) to the scale
- Mantled howler bringing 6.58 kilos (14.51 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Gray-bellied night monkey
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Aotus hershkovitzi:
- Southern white-breasted hedgehog bringing 690 grams to the scale
- Northern sportive lemur bringing 760 grams to the scale
- David’s echymipera bringing 817 grams to the scale
- Red-tailed sportive lemur bringing 763 grams to the scale
- Sunda slow loris bringing 940 grams to the scale
- Chinese ferret-badger bringing 939 grams to the scale
- Giant naked-tailed rat bringing 745 grams to the scale
- Tailless tenrec bringing 894 grams to the scale
- Molina’s hog-nosed skunk bringing 960 grams to the scale
- Black lion tamarin bringing 656 grams to the scale