It is hard to guess what a Harlequin bat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Harlequin bat (Scotomanes ornatus) on average weights 22 grams (0.05 lbs).
The Harlequin bat is from the family Vespertilionidae (genus: Scotomanes). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 23.6 cm (0′ 10″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The harlequin bat (Scotomanes ornatus) is a species of bat in the family Vespertilionidae, the vesper bats. It is the only member of the monotypic genus Scotomanes.This bat is found in south-eastern Asia from India to China and Vietnam.This is a common and widespread species. It lives in forests and caves and roosts in trees.
Animals of the same family as a Harlequin bat
We found other animals of the Vespertilionidae family:
- Keen’s myotis with a weight of 6 grams
- Wall-roosting mouse-eared bat with a weight of 4 grams
- Welwitsch’s bat with a weight of 15 grams
- Kerivoula hardwickei with a weight of 4 grams
- Western barbastelle with a weight of 8 grams
- Western bent-winged bat with a weight of 14 grams
- Asian barbastelle with a weight of 15 grams
- Lesser woolly bat with a weight of 6 grams
- Variegated butterfly bat with a weight of 11 grams
- Melck’s house bat with 1 babies per litter
Animals with the same weight as a Harlequin bat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Scotomanes ornatus:
- Brush mouse bringing 23 grams to the scale
- Olive grass mouse bringing 24 grams to the scale
- Yellow golden mole bringing 24 grams to the scale
- White-tailed dunnart bringing 25 grams to the scale
- Long-tongued fruit bat bringing 21 grams to the scale
- Monte gerbil mouse bringing 18 grams to the scale
- Northern red-backed vole bringing 19 grams to the scale
- Blackish grass mouse bringing 19 grams to the scale
- Stripe-faced dunnart bringing 24 grams to the scale
- White-eared pocket mouse bringing 23 grams to the scale