It is hard to guess what a Jackson’s mongoose weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Jackson’s mongoose (Bdeogale jacksoni) on average weights 2.5 kg (5.51 lbs).
The Jackson’s mongoose is from the family Herpestidae (genus: Bdeogale). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 44.6 cm (1′ 6″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Jackson’s mongoose (Bdeogale jacksoni) is a species of mongoose belonging to the genus Bdeogale. Discovered in 1889 by Frederick John Jackson, Oldfield Thomas in 1894 described it as Galeriscus jacksoni. It is most closely related to the black-footed mongoose of the same subgenus Galeriscus and both are sometimes united in a single species.With a head and body length of more than 50 cm (20 in) and a body weight of 2–3 kg (4.4–6.6 lb), it is a large mongoose. Its long and dense fur is grizzled black and white, the cheeks, the throat and the sides of the neck are very yellowish, the legs are dark brown or black, and the bushy tail is white.Jackson’s mongoose feeds on rodents and insects, especially on army ants, and is mainly nocturnal and crepuscular and possibly solitary. Its distributional range in Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania is limited to some arboreous mountain regions. It appears to be rare, and in 2008, the IUCN classified it as Near Threatened.
Animals of the same family as a Jackson’s mongoose
We found other animals of the Herpestidae family:
- Meller’s mongoose bringing 2.24 kilos (4.94 lbs) to the scale
- Slender mongoose with a weight of 530 grams
- White-tailed mongoose bringing 3.66 kilos (8.07 lbs) to the scale
- Common dwarf mongoose with a weight of 283 grams
- Brown-tailed mongoose with a weight of 711 grams
- Broad-striped Malagasy mongoose with a weight of 550 grams
- Namaqua slender mongoose with a weight of 750 grams
- Grandidier’s mongoose bringing 1.4 kilos (3.09 lbs) to the scale
- Indian grey mongoose bringing 1.31 kilos (2.89 lbs) to the scale
- Pousargues’s mongoose with a weight of 362 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Jackson’s mongoose
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Bdeogale jacksoni:
- Corsac fox with a weight of 2.62 kilos (5.78 lbs)
- Dryas monkey with a weight of 2.78 kilos (6.13 lbs)
- Smith’s red rock hare with a weight of 2.25 kilos (4.96 lbs)
- Red lemur with a weight of 2.39 kilos (5.27 lbs)
- Johnston’s genet with a weight of 2.23 kilos (4.92 lbs)
- Tufted capuchin with a weight of 2.76 kilos (6.08 lbs)
- African brush-tailed porcupine with a weight of 2.88 kilos (6.35 lbs)
- Burmese hare with a weight of 2.27 kilos (5 lbs)
- Rothschild’s porcupine with a weight of 2 kilos (4.41 lbs)
- Wolffsohn’s viscacha with a weight of 2.68 kilos (5.91 lbs)