It is hard to guess what a Lesser short-tailed gerbil weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Lesser short-tailed gerbil (Gerbillus simoni) on average weights 17 grams (0.04 lbs).
The Lesser short-tailed gerbil is from the family Muridae (genus: Gerbillus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 10.1 cm (0′ 4″). Usually, Lesser short-tailed gerbils have 4 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The lesser short-tailed gerbil (Dipodillus simoni) is distributed mainly from eastern Morocco to Egypt. It is also known as Simon’s dipodil. After morphological and molecular studies in 2010 Dipodillus was ranged as a subgenus of Gerbillus, and Dipodillus simoni was renamed into Gerbillus simoni.
Animals of the same family as a Lesser short-tailed gerbil
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Van Deusen’s rat with a weight of 67 grams
- Plateau mouse with a weight of 40 grams
- Typical striped grass mouse with a weight of 43 grams
- Osgood’s leaf-eared mouse with a weight of 45 grams
- Golden spiny mouse with a weight of 42 grams
- Mountain mosaic-tailed rat with a weight of 47 grams
- Highveld gerbil with a weight of 89 grams
- Peters’s climbing rat with a weight of 182 grams
- Stolička’s mountain vole with a weight of 30 grams
- Black-tailed mosaic-tailed rat with a weight of 60 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Lesser short-tailed gerbil
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Gerbillus simoni:
- Gracile naked-tailed shrew bringing 14 grams to the scale
- Niobe’s shrew bringing 16 grams to the scale
- Western red-backed vole bringing 18 grams to the scale
- Hairy-tailed bat bringing 14 grams to the scale
- New Guinean jumping mouse bringing 14 grams to the scale
- Black-capped fruit bat bringing 17 grams to the scale
- Eligmodontia typus bringing 17 grams to the scale
- Trefoil horseshoe bat bringing 15 grams to the scale
- Allen’s wood mouse bringing 20 grams to the scale
- Silky short-tailed bat bringing 14 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Lesser short-tailed gerbil
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (4) as a Lesser short-tailed gerbil: