It is hard to guess what a Mashona mole-rat weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Mashona mole-rat (Cryptomys darlingi) on average weights 65 grams (0.14 lbs).
The Mashona mole-rat is from the family Bathyergidae (genus: Cryptomys). It is usually born with about 7 grams (0.02 lbs). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 21.4 cm (0′ 9″). Usually, Mashona mole-rats have 1 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Mashona mole-rat (Fukomys darlingi) is a species of rodent in the family Bathyergidae.It is found in Mozambique and Zimbabwe.Its natural habitats are subtropical or tropical dry shrubland, subtropical or tropical dry lowland grassland, and caves.
Animals of the same family as a Mashona mole-rat
We found other animals of the Bathyergidae family:
- Common mole-rat with a weight of 74 grams
- Ochre mole-rat with a weight of 200 grams
- Naked mole-rat with a weight of 39 grams
- Namaqua dune mole-rat with a weight of 389 grams
- Damaraland mole-rat with a weight of 112 grams
- Cape dune mole-rat with a weight of 804 grams
- Silvery mole-rat with a weight of 160 grams
- Mechow’s mole-rat with a weight of 272 grams
- Bocage’s mole-rat with a weight of 93 grams
- Ansell’s mole-rat with a weight of 85 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Mashona mole-rat
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Cryptomys darlingi:
- Forest Oldfield mouse bringing 77 grams to the scale
- Emilia’s short-tailed opossum bringing 52 grams to the scale
- Horsfield’s fruit bat bringing 56 grams to the scale
- Gaumer’s spiny pocket mouse bringing 63 grams to the scale
- Short-tailed gymnure bringing 60 grams to the scale
- Zygodontomys brunneus bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Bushy-tailed jird bringing 56 grams to the scale
- Rusty-bellied brush-furred rat bringing 62 grams to the scale
- Dormouse tufted-tailed rat bringing 69 grams to the scale
- Chelemys macronyx bringing 72 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Mashona mole-rat
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (1) as a Mashona mole-rat: