It is hard to guess what a Nilgiri striped squirrel weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Nilgiri striped squirrel (Funambulus sublineatus) on average weights 70 grams (0.15 lbs).
The Nilgiri striped squirrel is from the family Sciuridae (genus: Funambulus). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 45.7 cm (1′ 6″). Usually, Nilgiri striped squirrels have 2 babies per litter.
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The Nilgiri striped squirrel (Funambulus sublineatus) is a threatened species of rodent, a small squirrel (Sciuridae) from rainforests in the southern Western Ghats, including the Nilgiris, in Peninsular India. It formerly included Funambulus obscurus from Sri Lanka as a subspecies, at which point the English name of the “combined species” also was dusky striped squirrel (a name now restricted to the Sri Lankan species).
Animals of the same family as a Nilgiri striped squirrel
We found other animals of the Sciuridae family:
- Merriam’s chipmunk with a weight of 74 grams
- Northern flying squirrel with a weight of 138 grams
- Round-tailed ground squirrel with a weight of 148 grams
- Indian giant squirrel bringing 1.06 kilos (2.34 lbs) to the scale
- Black-tailed prairie dog with a weight of 797 grams
- Layard’s palm squirrel with 2 babies per litter
- Sculptor squirrel with a size of 12 cm (0′ 5″)
- Indian palm squirrel with a weight of 136 grams
- Grizzled giant squirrel bringing 1.33 kilos (2.93 lbs) to the scale
- Ear-spot squirrel with a weight of 209 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Nilgiri striped squirrel
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Funambulus sublineatus:
- Thick-tailed three-toed jerboa bringing 60 grams to the scale
- Mountain pocket gopher bringing 81 grams to the scale
- Small five-toed jerboa bringing 59 grams to the scale
- Beady-eyed mouse bringing 77 grams to the scale
- Kalinowski’s Oldfield mouse bringing 77 grams to the scale
- Broad-footed mole bringing 61 grams to the scale
- Small hocicudo bringing 67 grams to the scale
- Patagonian chinchilla mouse bringing 75 grams to the scale
- Colorado chipmunk bringing 57 grams to the scale
- Stolzmann’s crab-eating rat bringing 84 grams to the scale
Animals with the same litter size as a Nilgiri striped squirrel
Here is a list of animals that have the same number of babies per litter (2) as a Nilgiri striped squirrel: