It is hard to guess what a Pearson’s tuco-tuco weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Pearson’s tuco-tuco (Ctenomys pearsoni) on average weights 212 grams (0.47 lbs).
The Pearson’s tuco-tuco is from the family Ctenomyidae (genus: Ctenomys). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 15.7 cm (0′ 7″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
Pearson’s tuco-tuco (Ctenomys pearsoni) is a species of rodent in the family Ctenomyidae. It is endemic to Uruguay, where it is found at elevations below 200 m. This tuco-tuco constructs burrows with multiple openings (an average of 13) containing one to two nests of dried grass; it prefers areas of sandy soil but is somewhat adaptable. It is threatened by loss of habitat to development, agriculture and ranching. Multiple karyotypes have been reported, including 2n = 68-70, FN = 80-88, as well as 2n = 56, FN = 77-79, suggesting the taxon may represent several species. C. dorbignyi appears to be cytogenetically indistinguishable from the 2n = 70 form. The species is named after American zoologist Oliver Payne Pearson.
Animals of the same family as a Pearson’s tuco-tuco
We found other animals of the Ctenomyidae family:
- Salta tuco-tuco with a weight of 230 grams
- Mendoza tuco-tuco with a weight of 179 grams
- Catamarca tuco-tuco with a weight of 316 grams
- Peruvian tuco-tuco with a weight of 489 grams
- Maule tuco-tuco with a weight of 235 grams
- Bonetto’s tuco-tuco with a weight of 202 grams
- Haig’s tuco-tuco with a weight of 164 grams
- Conover’s tuco-tuco with a weight of 860 grams
- Natterer’s tuco-tuco with a weight of 400 grams
- Talas tuco-tuco with a weight of 141 grams
Animals with the same weight as a Pearson’s tuco-tuco
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Ctenomys pearsoni:
- Large treeshrew bringing 182 grams to the scale
- Sonoran woodrat bringing 227 grams to the scale
- Ontong Java flying fox bringing 232 grams to the scale
- Gray slender loris bringing 254 grams to the scale
- Southwestern water vole bringing 220 grams to the scale
- Ihering’s Atlantic spiny rat bringing 221 grams to the scale
- Northeast African mole-rat bringing 227 grams to the scale
- Knox Jones’s pocket gopher bringing 172 grams to the scale
- Richmond’s squirrel bringing 237 grams to the scale
- Reddish tuco-tuco bringing 173 grams to the scale