It is hard to guess what a Strap-toothed whale weights. But we have the answer:
An adult Strap-toothed whale (Mesoplodon layardii) on average weights 1500 kg (3306.93 lbs).
The Strap-toothed whale is from the family Ziphiidae (genus: Mesoplodon). When reaching adult age, they grow up to 4.88 meter (16′ 1″).
As a reference: An average human weights in at 62 kg (137 lbs) and reaches an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). Humans spend 280 days (40 weeks) in the womb of their mother and reach around 75 years of age.
The strap-toothed beaked whale (Mesoplodon layardii), also known as Layard’s beaked whale, is one of the largest members of the mesoplodont family, growing to 6.2 metres (20 ft) in length and reaching up to 1,300 kilograms (2,900 lb). The common and scientific name was given in honor of Edgar Leopold Layard, the curator of the South African Museum, who prepared drawings of a skull and sent them to the British taxonomist John Edward Gray, who described the species in 1865.
Animals of the same family as a Strap-toothed whale
We found other animals of the Ziphiidae family:
- Hector’s beaked whale bringing 1000 kilos (2204.62 lbs) to the scale
- Stejneger’s beaked whale bringing 4800 kilos (10582.18 lbs) to the scale
- Berardius bringing 7000 kilos (15432.34 lbs) to the scale
- Southern bottlenose whale bringing 3000 kilos (6613.86 lbs) to the scale
- Gray’s beaked whale bringing 2900 kilos (6393.4 lbs) to the scale
- Northern bottlenose whale bringing 3391.68 kilos (7477.37 lbs) to the scale
- Cuvier’s beaked whale bringing 4772.5 kilos (10521.55 lbs) to the scale
- Hubbs’ beaked whale bringing 3400 kilos (7495.71 lbs) to the scale
- Andrews’ beaked whale bringing 2600 kilos (5732.01 lbs) to the scale
- True’s beaked whale bringing 2100 kilos (4629.7 lbs) to the scale
Animals with the same weight as a Strap-toothed whale
As a comparison, here are some other animals that weight as much as the Mesoplodon layardii:
- Southern elephant seal with a weight of 1600 kilos (3527.39 lbs)
- Javan rhinoceros with a weight of 1740 kilos (3836.04 lbs)
- False killer whale with a weight of 1360 kilos (2998.28 lbs)
- Hippopotamus with a weight of 1528.16 kilos (3369.01 lbs)
- Beluga whale with a weight of 1380.82 kilos (3044.18 lbs)
- Ginkgo-toothed beaked whale with a weight of 1500 kilos (3306.93 lbs)