How big does a Red-bellied marsupial shrew get? Here is an overview over the average adult age:
A grown Red-bellied marsupial shrew (Phascolosorex doriae) reaches an average size of 17.9 cm (0′ 8″).
When born, they have an average size of 0 cm (0′ 0″). The Red-bellied marsupial shrew (genus: Phascolosorex) is a member of the family Dasyuridae.
As a reference: Humans reach an average body size of 1.65m (5′ 5″) while carrying 62 kg (137 lbs). A human woman is pregnant for 280 days (40 weeks) and on average become 75 years old.
The red-bellied dasyure or red-bellied marsupial shrew (Phascolosorex doriae) is a species of marsupial in the family Dasyuridae endemic to West Papua, Indonesia. Its natural habitat is subtropical or tropical dry forests.
Animals of the same family as a Red-bellied marsupial shrew
We found other animals of the Dasyuridae family:
- Short-furred dasyure with a size of 18 cm (0′ 8″)
- Brush-tailed phascogale with 6 babies per litter
- Sandhill dunnart with a size of 10.5 cm (0′ 5″)
- Fawn antechinus with a size of 11.4 cm (0′ 5″)
- Long-nosed dasyure with a size of 12.1 cm (0′ 5″)
- Cinnamon antechinus with 8 babies per litter
- Long-tailed dunnart with a size of 9.5 cm (0′ 4″)
- Fat-tailed dunnart with 7 babies per litter
- Brown antechinus with 6 babies per litter
- Sminthopsis laniger with 5 babies per litter
Animals with the same size as a Red-bellied marsupial shrew
Not that size really matters, but it makes things comparable. So here are a couple of animals that are as big as Red-bellied marsupial shrew:
- Mountain water rat with a size of 14.4 cm (0′ 6″)
- Madagascan fruit bat with a size of 20.2 cm (0′ 8″)
- Roman mole with a size of 14.5 cm (0′ 6″)
- Large-scaled mosaic-tailed rat with a size of 15.7 cm (0′ 7″)
- Northern pocket gopher with a size of 15.2 cm (0′ 6″)
- Red spiny rat with a size of 16.7 cm (0′ 7″)
- Shaw Mayer’s brush mouse with a size of 14.4 cm (0′ 6″)
- Large-eared pika with a size of 17.8 cm (0′ 8″)
- Lorentz’s mosaic-tailed rat with a size of 17.5 cm (0′ 7″)
- Red squirrel with a size of 21.3 cm (0′ 9″)