Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Bartow in Florida? Here is the answer:
Bartow, Florida has a population density of 127.63 inhabitants per square kilometer (330.56 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 17,298 people are living within an area of 135.53 sq km (52.33 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Bartow ( BAR-toh) is the county seat of Polk County, Florida, United States. Founded in 1851 as Fort Blount, the city was renamed in honor of Francis S. Bartow, the first brigade commander of the Confederate Army to die in combat during the American Civil War. According to the 2010 Census, the city had a population of 17,298 and an estimated population of 19,926 in 2018. It is part of the Lakeland−Winter Haven Metropolitan Statistical Area, which had an estimated population of 584,383 in 2009. As of 2019, the mayor of Bartow is Billy Simpson.Located near the source of the Peace River, Bartow is approximately 39 miles (63 km) east of Tampa, Florida and 50 miles (80 km) southwest of the Greater Orlando area. The city is near the center of “Lightning Alley” and has frequent afternoon thunderstorms in the summer, but typically has sunny and mild winters. Government, mining, and agriculture are the major sectors of the area’s economy. The primary roads in the Bartow area are U.S. Route 17, U.S. Route 98 and State Road 60, which provide access to locations throughout Central Florida.The official city nickname is the “City of Oaks and Azaleas”. Three districts within the city are on the National Register of Historical Places. Other historic landmarks include the Old Polk County Courthouse built in 1909 and Bartow High School, formerly Summerlin Institute, the oldest high school in the county. Summerlin Academy now uses the space and was named for the historic school. Although Bartow has been eclipsed in population, importance and name recognition by other cities in the county, particularly Lakeland and Winter Haven, the city has retained its small city heritage and its distinctive Southern culture. With the annexation of 18,000 acres (73 km2) of former phosphate mining land owned by the Clear Springs Land Company, Bartow’s population is projected to increase to over 25,000 by 2025 and over 45,000 by 2030.
Cities with a similar population density as Bartow
Other cities that have a similar population density as Bartow, Florida are:
- Alexander City, Alabama with a population density of 136 people per sq km (352 / sq mi).
- Cloquet, Minnesota with a population density of 130 people per sq km (337 / sq mi).
- Hugo, Minnesota with a population density of 143 people per sq km (370 / sq mi).
- Midlothian, Texas with a population density of 129 people per sq km (335 / sq mi).
- Oak Ridge, Tennessee with a population density of 126 people per sq km (326 / sq mi).
- Lebanon, New Hampshire with a population density of 123 people per sq km (319 / sq mi).
- North Branch, Minnesota with a population density of 108 people per sq km (281 / sq mi).
- Carson City, Nevada with a population density of 133 people per sq km (344 / sq mi).
- Red Wing, Minnesota with a population density of 153 people per sq km (397 / sq mi).
- Augusta, Maine with a population density of 127 people per sq km (330 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Bartow
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Bartow, Florida:
- Monroe, Michigan with a population of 20,733 people
- Middleburg Heights, Ohio with a population of 15,946 people
- Tumwater, Washington with a population of 17,371 people
- Moss Point, Mississippi with a population of 17,653 people
- Corinth, Texas with a population of 19,935 people
- Alice, Texas with a population of 19,104 people
- Brooksville, Florida with a population of 20,264 people
- Simpsonville, South Carolina with a population of 18,238 people
- Parma Heights, Ohio with a population of 20,718 people
- Parlier, California with a population of 14,494 people
Cities with a similar size as Bartow
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Bartow, Florida, here you go:
- Rochester, New Hampshire with 117.68 square kilometers (117.68 sq mi), population: 30,527
- Sherman, Texas with 114.05 square kilometers (114.05 sq mi), population: 38,521
- Gulfport, Mississippi with 165.78 square kilometers (165.78 sq mi), population: 67,793
- Tyler, Texas with 148.00 square kilometers (148.00 sq mi), population: 96,900
- Joliet, Illinois with 168.60 square kilometers (168.60 sq mi), population: 147,459
- Hurricane, Utah with 135.30 square kilometers (135.30 sq mi), population: 14,362
- Georgetown, Texas with 140.73 square kilometers (140.73 sq mi), population: 47,400
- Richmond, Virginia with 161.82 square kilometers (161.82 sq mi), population: 223,170
- Pueblo, Colorado with 140.84 square kilometers (140.84 sq mi), population: 106,595
- College Station, Texas with 132.44 square kilometers (132.44 sq mi), population: 100,050