Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into El Paso in Texas? Here is the answer:
El Paso, Texas has a population density of 1023.05 inhabitants per square kilometer (2649.7 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 682,669 people are living within an area of 667.29 sq km (257.64 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
El Paso (; Spanish: [el ˈpaso] “the pass”) is a city and the county seat of El Paso County, Texas, United States, in the far western part of the state. The 2019 population estimate for the city from the U.S. Census was 681,728, making it the 22nd largest city in the United States. Its metropolitan statistical area (MSA) covers all of El Paso and Hudspeth counties in Texas, and has a population of 840,758.El Paso stands on the Rio Grande across the Mexico–United States border from Ciudad Juárez, the most populous city in the Mexican state of Chihuahua with 1.4 million people. Las Cruces, in the neighboring U.S. state of New Mexico, has a population of 215,579. On the U.S. side, the El Paso metropolitan area forms part of the larger El Paso–Las Cruces CSA, with a population of 1,060,397.Bi-nationally, these three cities form a combined international metropolitan area sometimes referred to as the Paso del Norte or the Borderplex. The region of 2.5 million people constitutes the largest bilingual and binational work force in the Western Hemisphere.The city is home to three publicly traded companies, and former Western Refining, now Andeavor. as well as home to the Medical Center of the Americas, the only medical research and care provider complex in West Texas and Southern New Mexico, and the University of Texas at El Paso, the city’s primary university. The city hosts the annual Sun Bowl college football post-season game, the second oldest bowl game in the country.El Paso has a strong federal and military presence. William Beaumont Army Medical Center, Biggs Army Airfield, and Fort Bliss are located in the area. Fort Bliss is one of the largest military complexes of the United States Army and the largest training area in the United States. Also headquartered in El Paso are the DEA domestic field division 7, El Paso Intelligence Center, Joint Task Force North, United States Border Patrol El Paso Sector, and the U.S. Border Patrol Special Operations Group (SOG).In 2010 and 2018, El Paso received an All-America City Award. El Paso ranked in the top three safest large cities in the United States between 1997 and 2014, including holding the title of safest city between 2011 and 2014.
Cities with a similar population density as El Paso
Other cities that have a similar population density as El Paso, Texas are:
- Edinburg, Texas with a population density of 949 people per sq km (2,458 / sq mi).
- DeSoto, Texas with a population density of 911 people per sq km (2,358 / sq mi).
- The Colony, Texas with a population density of 871 people per sq km (2,256 / sq mi).
- Rockford, Illinois with a population density of 915 people per sq km (2,371 / sq mi).
- New London, Connecticut with a population density of 1,005 people per sq km (2,603 / sq mi).
- Oregon City, Oregon with a population density of 1,245 people per sq km (3,225 / sq mi).
- Riviera Beach, Florida with a population density of 1,263 people per sq km (3,271 / sq mi).
- Bellevue, Nebraska with a population density of 1,158 people per sq km (3,000 / sq mi).
- Morgantown, West Virginia with a population density of 1,098 people per sq km (2,844 / sq mi).
- Gulfport, Florida with a population density of 1,195 people per sq km (3,092 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as El Paso
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like El Paso, Texas:
- Boston, Massachusetts with a population of 617,594 people
- Seattle, Washington with a population of 744,955 people
- Nashville, Tennessee with a population of 668,347 people
- Memphis, Tennessee with a population of 646,889 people
- Portland, Oregon with a population of 653,115 people
- Las Vegas, Nevada with a population of 648,224 people
- Milwaukee, Wisconsin with a population of 600,155 people
- Denver, Colorado with a population of 682,545 people
- Columbus, Ohio with a population of 787,033 people
- Louisville, Kentucky with a population of 760,026 people
Cities with a similar size as El Paso
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as El Paso, Texas, here you go:
- Kansas City, Missouri with 826.15 square kilometers (826.15 sq mi), population: 459,787
- Austin, Texas with 827.51 square kilometers (827.51 sq mi), population: 912,791
- San Francisco, California with 600.59 square kilometers (600.59 sq mi), population: 881,549
- Chicago, Illinois with 606.42 square kilometers (606.42 sq mi), population: 2,722,389
- Augusta, Georgia with 794.24 square kilometers (794.24 sq mi), population: 197,166
- Tucson, Arizona with 598.61 square kilometers (598.61 sq mi), population: 520,116
- Bibb County, Georgia with 661.00 square kilometers (661.00 sq mi), population: 154,721
- Lexington, Kentucky with 739.56 square kilometers (739.56 sq mi), population: 295,803
- Macon, Georgia with 661.00 square kilometers (661.00 sq mi), population: 152,663
- Columbus, Georgia with 572.00 square kilometers (572.00 sq mi), population: 189,885