Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Hartford in Connecticut? Here is the answer:
Hartford, Connecticut has a population density of 2668.41 inhabitants per square kilometer (6912.74 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 124,775 people are living within an area of 46.76 sq km (18.05 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Hartford is the capital city of the U.S. state of Connecticut. It was the seat of Hartford County until Connecticut disbanded county government in 1960. It is the core city in the Greater Hartford metropolitan area. Census estimates since the 2010 United States Census have indicated that Hartford is the fourth-largest city in Connecticut, behind the coastal cities of Bridgeport, New Haven, and Stamford.Hartford was founded in 1635 and is among the oldest cities in the United States. It is home to the country’s oldest public art museum (Wadsworth Atheneum), the oldest publicly funded park (Bushnell Park), the oldest continuously published newspaper (the Hartford Courant), and the second-oldest secondary school (Hartford Public High School). It is also home to the Mark Twain House, where the author wrote his most famous works and raised his family, among other historically significant sites. Mark Twain wrote in 1868, “Of all the beautiful towns it has been my fortune to see this is the chief.”Hartford was the richest city in the United States for several decades following the American Civil War. Today, it is one of the poorest cities in the U.S., with 3 out of every 10 families living below the poverty threshold. In sharp contrast, the Greater Hartford metropolitan statistical area was ranked 32nd of 318 metropolitan areas in total economic production and 8th out of 280 metropolitan statistical areas in per capita income in 2015.Nicknamed the “Insurance Capital of the World”, Hartford holds high sufficiency as a global city, as home to the headquarters of many insurance companies, the region’s major industry. Other prominent industries include the services, education and healthcare industries. Hartford coordinates certain Hartford-Springfield regional development matters through the Knowledge Corridor Economic Partnership.
Cities with a similar population density as Hartford
Other cities that have a similar population density as Hartford, Connecticut are:
- Lakewood, California with a population density of 3,264 people per sq km (8,453 / sq mi).
- Buena Park, California with a population density of 2,949 people per sq km (7,633 / sq mi).
- Placentia, California with a population density of 2,944 people per sq km (7,622 / sq mi).
- Medford, Massachusetts with a population density of 2,504 people per sq km (6,486 / sq mi).
- Greenfield, California with a population density of 2,953 people per sq km (7,631 / sq mi).
- Pico Rivera, California with a population density of 2,736 people per sq km (7,088 / sq mi).
- Norwood, Ohio with a population density of 2,356 people per sq km (6,097 / sq mi).
- Berkeley, California with a population density of 2,670 people per sq km (6,915 / sq mi).
- La Palma, California with a population density of 3,326 people per sq km (8,601 / sq mi).
- Sweetwater, Florida with a population density of 2,287 people per sq km (5,928 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Hartford
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Hartford, Connecticut:
- Lansing, Michigan with a population of 114,297 people
- Norman, Oklahoma with a population of 110,925 people
- Charleston, South Carolina with a population of 120,083 people
- Victorville, California with a population of 115,903 people
- Syracuse, New York with a population of 144,669 people
- Topeka, Kansas with a population of 127,473 people
- Carrollton, Texas with a population of 126,700 people
- Fairfield, California with a population of 105,321 people
- Gresham, Oregon with a population of 105,594 people
- Hayward, California with a population of 144,186 people
Cities with a similar size as Hartford
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Hartford, Connecticut, here you go:
- Leawood, Kansas with 39.29 square kilometers (39.29 sq mi), population: 31,867
- Paducah, Kentucky with 53.42 square kilometers (53.42 sq mi), population: 25,024
- Porterville, California with 48.22 square kilometers (48.22 sq mi), population: 54,165
- Camden, Arkansas with 42.73 square kilometers (42.73 sq mi), population: 12,183
- Cullman, Alabama with 53.24 square kilometers (53.24 sq mi), population: 15,496
- Huntington, West Virginia with 47.82 square kilometers (47.82 sq mi), population: 48,113
- Parma, Ohio with 51.99 square kilometers (51.99 sq mi), population: 81,601
- Pontiac, Michigan with 52.54 square kilometers (52.54 sq mi), population: 59,515
- Ocoee, Florida with 41.80 square kilometers (41.80 sq mi), population: 35,579
- Madera, California with 40.89 square kilometers (40.89 sq mi), population: 61,416
Cities with the same name “Hartford”
Same name but different game – do we have sister cities from other states:
- Hartford, Wisconsin with a population of 14,223 residents