Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Muscle Shoals in Alabama? Here is the answer:
Muscle Shoals, Alabama has a population density of 306.72 inhabitants per square kilometer (794.32 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 13,146 people are living within an area of 42.86 sq km (16.55 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Muscle Shoals is the largest city in Colbert County, Alabama, United States. It is located along the Tennessee River in the northern part of the state and, as of the 2010 census, the population of Muscle Shoals was 13,146. The estimated population in 2018 was 14,263.Both the city and the Florence-Muscle Shoals Metropolitan Area (including four cities in Colbert and Lauderdale counties) are commonly called “the Shoals”. Northwest Alabama Regional Airport serves the Shoals region, located in the northwest section of the state.Since the 1960s, the city has been known for music. Local studios and artists developed the “Muscle Shoals Sound”, including FAME Studios in the late 1950s and Muscle Shoals Sound Studio in 1969. They produced hit records that shaped the national and international history of popular music.Due to its strategic location along the Tennessee River, Muscle Shoals had long been territory of historic Native American tribes. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries, as Europeans entered the area in greater number, it became a center of historic land disputes. The new state of Georgia had ambitions to anchor its western claims (to the Mississippi River) by encouraging European-American development here, but that project did not succeed.In 1922 Muscle Shoals was the site of an attempted community development project by Henry Ford, noted Michigan entrepreneur of the automobile industry. He wanted to take over a dam and other infrastructure built by the War Department but did not like the terms offered. Due to Ford’s influence in the area, some streets were named after streets in Detroit, Michigan. As in Detroit, Woodward Avenue is the name of the main road through the city. Henry Ford conceived of a 75-mile industrial corridor from Decatur, Alabama to the tri-state border of Pickwick Lake.Under President Franklin D. Roosevelt’s administration during the Great Depression, the Tennessee Valley Authority was established to create infrastructure and jobs, resulting in electrification of a large rural area along the river. The Ford Motor Company did build and operate a plant for many years in the Listerhill community, three miles east of Muscle Shoals; it closed in 1982 as part of industrial restructuring when jobs moved out of the country.
Cities with a similar population density as Muscle Shoals
Other cities that have a similar population density as Muscle Shoals, Alabama are:
- Cookeville, Tennessee with a population density of 331 people per sq km (857 / sq mi).
- Walker, Michigan with a population density of 357 people per sq km (924 / sq mi).
- Jonesboro, Arkansas with a population density of 335 people per sq km (867 / sq mi).
- Winter Haven, Florida with a population density of 256 people per sq km (663 / sq mi).
- Danville, Virginia with a population density of 377 people per sq km (978 / sq mi).
- Lumberton, Texas with a population density of 341 people per sq km (884 / sq mi).
- Bemidji, Minnesota with a population density of 333 people per sq km (863 / sq mi).
- Brigham City, Utah with a population density of 278 people per sq km (720 / sq mi).
- Tullahoma, Tennessee with a population density of 306 people per sq km (792 / sq mi).
- Sapulpa, Oklahoma with a population density of 341 people per sq km (883 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Muscle Shoals
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Muscle Shoals, Alabama:
- Manassas Park, Virginia with a population of 16,149 people
- Tonawanda, New York with a population of 15,130 people
- Archdale, North Carolina with a population of 11,415 people
- Port Neches, Texas with a population of 13,040 people
- Vandalia, Ohio with a population of 15,246 people
- Overland, Missouri with a population of 16,062 people
- Greenwood Village, Colorado with a population of 13,925 people
- New Baltimore, Michigan with a population of 12,084 people
- Talladega, Alabama with a population of 15,676 people
- Centerville, Utah with a population of 16,203 people
Cities with a similar size as Muscle Shoals
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Muscle Shoals, Alabama, here you go:
- Newnan, Georgia with 50.28 square kilometers (50.28 sq mi), population: 33,293
- Moline, Illinois with 43.54 square kilometers (43.54 sq mi), population: 43,483
- Yuba City, California with 38.86 square kilometers (38.86 sq mi), population: 64,925
- Crown Point, Indiana with 46.17 square kilometers (46.17 sq mi), population: 27,317
- Gallup, New Mexico with 48.98 square kilometers (48.98 sq mi), population: 20,209
- Harlingen, Texas with 40.30 square kilometers (40.30 sq mi), population: 64,849
- Nicholasville, Kentucky with 36.10 square kilometers (36.10 sq mi), population: 28,015
- La Marque, Texas with 36.93 square kilometers (36.93 sq mi), population: 14,509
- Frankfort, Kentucky with 39.03 square kilometers (39.03 sq mi), population: 25,527
- Vestavia Hills, Alabama with 52.41 square kilometers (52.41 sq mi), population: 34,018