Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Opelousas in Louisiana? Here is the answer:
Opelousas, Louisiana has a population density of 2928.37 inhabitants per square kilometer (7588.89 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 23,222 people are living within an area of 7.93 sq km (3.06 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Opelousas is also a common name of the flathead catfish.Opelousas (French: Les Opelousas) is a small city in and the parish seat of St. Landry Parish, Louisiana, United States. Interstate 49 and U.S. Route 190 were constructed with a junction here. The population was 22,860 at the 2000 census. In 2004 the city annexed territory and population expected to give it more than 25,000 people in total. In the 2010 census, the population was 16,634. Opelousas is the principal city for the Opelousas-Eunice Micropolitan Statistical Area, which had an estimated population of 92,178 in 2008. Opelousas is also the third-largest city in the Lafayette-Acadiana Combined Statistical Area, which has a population of 537,947.With an area of 7.5 square miles, Opelousas is the most densely populated incorporated city in Louisiana. Local legend says that Opelousas was founded by French colonist in 1720. This assertion has not been proven by any historical documents or leading scholars and academia on the subject of French Colonial Louisiana. Actually, the first trading post in the Opelousas District was founded by 1740–1742, at the present-day town of Port Barre, Louisiana. Colonist began settling the area in the late 1740s – early 1750s. Poste des Opelousas was officially established in 1764, at the present-day village of Washington, Louisiana. Populating at the present-day city of Opelousas began in the 1780s. Historically an area of settlement by French Creoles, Creoles of color, and Acadians, Opelousas is the center of zydeco music. It celebrates its heritage at the Creole Heritage Folklife Center, one of the destinations on the new Louisiana African American Heritage Trail. It is also the location of the Evangeline Downs Racetrack and Casino.The city calls itself “the spice capital of the world”, with production and sale of seasonings such as Tony Chachere’s products, Targil Seasonings, Savoie’s cajun meats and products, and LouAna Cooking Oil. Opelousas was the site of one of the nation’s two Yoohoo factories until it closed in 2009.During the tenure of Sheriff Cat Doucet, from 1936 to 1940 and again from 1952 to 1968, the section of Opelousas along Highway 190 was a haven of gambling and prostitution, the profits from which he skimmed a take.
Cities with a similar population density as Opelousas
Other cities that have a similar population density as Opelousas, Louisiana are:
- Arlington County, Virginia with a population density of 3,357 people per sq km (8,694 / sq mi).
- Long Beach, New York with a population density of 3,299 people per sq km (8,554 / sq mi).
- Hallandale Beach, Florida with a population density of 3,093 people per sq km (8,016 / sq mi).
- Westminster, California with a population density of 3,449 people per sq km (8,934 / sq mi).
- Clayton, Missouri with a population density of 2,453 people per sq km (6,350 / sq mi).
- Providence, Rhode Island with a population density of 3,342 people per sq km (8,655 / sq mi).
- West Linn, Oregon with a population density of 3,119 people per sq km (8,074 / sq mi).
- Lakewood, California with a population density of 3,264 people per sq km (8,453 / sq mi).
- Pawtucket, Rhode Island with a population density of 3,049 people per sq km (7,897 / sq mi).
- North Lauderdale, Florida with a population density of 3,409 people per sq km (8,822 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Opelousas
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Opelousas, Louisiana:
- Marshalltown, Iowa with a population of 27,552 people
- Woodstock, Georgia with a population of 23,896 people
- Temple Terrace, Florida with a population of 24,541 people
- Wadsworth, Ohio with a population of 21,567 people
- Fitchburg, Wisconsin with a population of 25,260 people
- Benicia, California with a population of 26,997 people
- Searcy, Arkansas with a population of 22,858 people
- Conway, South Carolina with a population of 21,053 people
- Maryville, Tennessee with a population of 27,258 people
- Crown Point, Indiana with a population of 27,317 people
Cities with a similar size as Opelousas
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Opelousas, Louisiana, here you go:
- Sunnyside, Washington with 7.53 square kilometers (7.53 sq mi), population: 15,858
- The Dalles, Oregon with 6.61 square kilometers (6.61 sq mi), population: 12,520
- Everett, Massachusetts with 9.50 square kilometers (9.50 sq mi), population: 41,667
- Aventura, Florida with 9.08 square kilometers (9.08 sq mi), population: 35,762
- Canby, Oregon with 9.82 square kilometers (9.82 sq mi), population: 15,829
- Washington, Pennsylvania with 7.63 square kilometers (7.63 sq mi), population: 13,663
- Grosse Pointe Park, Michigan with 9.61 square kilometers (9.61 sq mi), population: 11,555
- Winthrop, Massachusetts with 8.30 square kilometers (8.30 sq mi), population: 17,497
- Van Wert, Ohio with 7.61 square kilometers (7.61 sq mi), population: 10,690
- Grosse Pointe Woods, Michigan with 8.42 square kilometers (8.42 sq mi), population: 16,135