Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Poquoson in Virginia? Here is the answer:
Poquoson, Virginia has a population density of 59.54 inhabitants per square kilometer (154.21 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 12,104 people are living within an area of 203.3 sq km (78.49 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Poquoson , informally known as Bull Island, is an independent city in the Commonwealth of Virginia. As of the 2010 census, the population was 12,150. The Bureau of Economic Analysis combines the city of Poquoson with surrounding York County for statistical purposes.Poquoson is located on the Virginia Peninsula, in the Hampton Roads metropolitan area.Poquoson, which was formerly part of York County, became an incorporated town in 1952 and an independent city in 1975. (In Virginia, municipalities incorporated as independent cities are not part of any county.) However, the ties remain close. Over 30 years after Poquoson became a politically independent entity, some constitutional services such as the courts, sheriff and jail continue to be shared with neighboring York County.Poquoson is one of the oldest continuously named cities in Virginia. It is also one of the few to retain a name which derived from the Native Americans who inhabited the area before colonization by the English began in the 17th century.
Cities with a similar population density as Poquoson
Other cities that have a similar population density as Poquoson, Virginia are:
- Fernley, Nevada with a population density of 58 people per sq km (150 / sq mi).
- Eloy, Arizona with a population density of 57 people per sq km (148 / sq mi).
- St. Marys, Pennsylvania with a population density of 51 people per sq km (131 / sq mi).
- Eufaula, Alabama with a population density of 69 people per sq km (179 / sq mi).
- Berlin, New Hampshire with a population density of 62 people per sq km (162 / sq mi).
- Buckeye, Arizona with a population density of 50 people per sq km (130 / sq mi).
- Anchorage, Alaska with a population density of 67 people per sq km (172 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Poquoson
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Poquoson, Virginia:
- Hutchinson, Minnesota with a population of 14,178 people
- Brownsville, Tennessee with a population of 10,292 people
- Loveland, Ohio with a population of 12,326 people
- Grandview, Washington with a population of 10,862 people
- Clemson, South Carolina with a population of 13,905 people
- Grain Valley, Missouri with a population of 12,854 people
- Fenton, Michigan with a population of 11,756 people
- Glendale, Wisconsin with a population of 12,872 people
- Cedarburg, Wisconsin with a population of 11,412 people
- Half Moon Bay, California with a population of 11,324 people
Cities with a similar size as Poquoson
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Poquoson, Virginia, here you go:
- Springfield, Missouri with 214.69 square kilometers (214.69 sq mi), population: 159,498
- Lancaster, California with 244.91 square kilometers (244.91 sq mi), population: 156,633
- Oak Ridge, Tennessee with 233.04 square kilometers (233.04 sq mi), population: 29,330
- Las Cruces, New Mexico with 199.52 square kilometers (199.52 sq mi), population: 97,618
- North Charleston, South Carolina with 199.78 square kilometers (199.78 sq mi), population: 97,471
- Fort Smith, Arkansas with 176.45 square kilometers (176.45 sq mi), population: 86,209
- Midland, Texas with 193.08 square kilometers (193.08 sq mi), population: 111,147
- Frisco, Texas with 176.72 square kilometers (176.72 sq mi), population: 116,989
- Barnstable, Massachusetts with 198.02 square kilometers (198.02 sq mi), population: 45,193
- Apple Valley, California with 193.66 square kilometers (193.66 sq mi), population: 69,135