Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Provo in Utah? Here is the answer:
Provo, Utah has a population density of 983.29 inhabitants per square kilometer (2546.71 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 112,488 people are living within an area of 114.4 sq km (44.17 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Provo is the third-largest city in Utah, United States. It is 43 miles (69 km) south of Salt Lake City along the Wasatch Front. Provo is the largest city and county seat of Utah County. It is home to Brigham Young University, and Sundance Resort is located just northeast of the city.While Father Silvestre Vélez de Escalante, a Spanish Franciscan missionary-explorer, is considered the first European visitor to the area that would become Provo, the first permanent settlement was established in 1849 as Fort Utah. The name was changed to “Provo” in 1850, in honor of Étienne Provost, an early French-Canadian trapper. Provo’s climate lies in the transition zone between a humid subtropical climate and humid continental climate, with high temperatures averaging between about 94 °F or 34.4 °C in the summer and 40 °F or 4.4 °C in the winter. Average annual precipitation (rain and snow) is just under 20 inches (51 cm). The population of Provo has grown from 2030 in 1860 to an estimated 116,618 in 2019. The 2010 census showed slightly more females than males, with over 55% of the population living as couples, and almost 35% of households having children under the age of 18. The population is over 90% Christian, with almost 89% being Latter Day Saints. The economy in Provo is powered by many different businesses and organizations, including over 100 restaurants, two shopping malls, multiple universities and colleges, a number of small companies, and several large international businesses. Utah Valley Hospital is a Level II Trauma Center, and has several campuses of medical professionals surrounding it. America’s Freedom Festival at Provo, held every May through July, is one of the largest Independence Day celebrations in the United States. Several cultural points of interest in the city include the Covey Center for the Arts, the LDS Missionary Training Center, and the Provo City Library at Academy Square. Provo contains two LDS temples: Provo Utah Temple and Provo City Center Temple, the latter being restored from the ruins of the Provo Tabernacle. The Utah Valley Convention Center is also located in downtown Provo. There are several museums located on the campus of Brigham Young University.Natural features include Bridal Veil Falls, Provo River, Utah Lake and Uinta-Wasatch-Cache National Forest. Timpanogos Cave National Monument is located several miles north of Provo. A number of national historic landmarks are located within Provo, including the Reed O. Smoot House. Provo is served by Utah Transit Authority, operator of the FrontRunner commuter rail and a bus service connected to the rest of the Wasatch Front. Amtrak stops at Provo station, providing daily access to its California Zephyr service. Interstate 15, U.S. 89 and U.S. 189 provide major road service to Provo. Air transportation is available at Utah’s second busiest airpot, Provo Municipal Airport.
Cities with a similar population density as Provo
Other cities that have a similar population density as Provo, Utah are:
- Gulfport, Florida with a population density of 1,195 people per sq km (3,092 / sq mi).
- Bonney Lake, Washington with a population density of 838 people per sq km (2,169 / sq mi).
- Albany, Oregon with a population density of 1,091 people per sq km (2,826 / sq mi).
- Monroe, Washington with a population density of 1,094 people per sq km (2,832 / sq mi).
- Appleton, Wisconsin with a population density of 1,123 people per sq km (2,908 / sq mi).
- Irving, Texas with a population density of 1,227 people per sq km (3,179 / sq mi).
- Washougal, Washington with a population density of 858 people per sq km (2,223 / sq mi).
- East Liverpool, Ohio with a population density of 883 people per sq km (2,289 / sq mi).
- Bellefontaine Neighbors, Missouri with a population density of 946 people per sq km (2,451 / sq mi).
- Cedarburg, Wisconsin with a population density of 901 people per sq km (2,334 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Provo
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Provo, Utah:
- Murfreesboro, Tennessee with a population of 108,755 people
- High Point, North Carolina with a population of 104,371 people
- South Gate, California with a population of 94,396 people
- Arvada, Colorado with a population of 106,433 people
- Temecula, California with a population of 100,097 people
- Ventura, California with a population of 106,433 people
- Visalia, California with a population of 124,442 people
- Vallejo, California with a population of 115,942 people
- Cambridge, Massachusetts with a population of 107,289 people
- Killeen, Texas with a population of 138,154 people
Cities with a similar size as Provo
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Provo, Utah, here you go:
- Winter Haven, Florida with 103.42 square kilometers (103.42 sq mi), population: 26,484
- Modesto, California with 116.05 square kilometers (116.05 sq mi), population: 201,165
- Keene, New Hampshire with 96.79 square kilometers (96.79 sq mi), population: 23,409
- Aurora, Illinois with 118.55 square kilometers (118.55 sq mi), population: 171,782
- Vancouver, Washington with 131.04 square kilometers (131.04 sq mi), population: 161,791
- Council Bluffs, Iowa with 117.91 square kilometers (117.91 sq mi), population: 58,268
- Prescott, Arizona with 116.97 square kilometers (116.97 sq mi), population: 40,590
- Springdale, Arkansas with 121.59 square kilometers (121.59 sq mi), population: 69,797
- Grand Rapids, Michigan with 117.36 square kilometers (117.36 sq mi), population: 112,571
- LaGrange, Georgia with 110.87 square kilometers (110.87 sq mi), population: 29,588