Have you ever wondered how many people are crammed into Sarasota in Florida? Here is the answer:
Sarasota, Florida has a population density of 794.93 inhabitants per square kilometer (2058.56 / sq mi)
That means the whole population of 51,917 people are living within an area of 65.31 sq km (25.22 sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi), thanks to it’s population of 8,398,748 inhabitants within an area of 1214 sq km (468.73 sq mi).
Sarasota () is a city in Sarasota County on the southwestern coast of the U.S. state of Florida. The area is renowned for its cultural and environmental amenities, beaches, resorts, and the Sarasota School of Architecture. The city is at the southern end of the Tampa Bay Area, north of Fort Myers and Punta Gorda. Its official limits include Sarasota Bay and several barrier islands between the bay and the Gulf of Mexico. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, in 2018 Sarasota had a population of 57,738. In 1986 it became designated as a certified local government. Sarasota is a principal city of the Sarasota metropolitan area, and is the seat of Sarasota County.The islands separating Sarasota Bay from the gulf near the city, known as keys, include Lido Key and Siesta Key, which are famous worldwide for the quality of their sandy beaches. The keys that are included in the boundary of Sarasota are Lido Key, St. Armands Key, Otter Key, Casey Key, Coon Key, Bird Key, and portions of Siesta Key. Previously, Siesta Key was named Sarasota Key. At one time, it and all of Longboat Key were considered part of Sarasota and confusing contemporaneous references may be found discussing them.Longboat Key is the largest key separating the bay from the gulf, but it was evenly divided by the new county line of 1921. The portion of the key that parallels the Sarasota city boundary that extends to that new county line along the bay front of the mainland was removed from the city boundaries at the request of John Ringling in the mid-1920s, who sought to avoid city taxation of his planned developments at the southern tip of the key. Although they never were completed in the quickly faltering economy, those development concessions granted by the city never were reversed and the county has retained regulation of those lands.The city limits had expanded significantly with the real estate rush of the early twentieth century, reaching almost 70 square miles (180 km2). The wild speculation boom began to crash in 1926 and following that, the city limits began to contract, shrinking to less than a quarter of that area.
Cities with a similar population density as Sarasota
Other cities that have a similar population density as Sarasota, Florida are:
- Durham, North Carolina with a population density of 797 people per sq km (2,063 / sq mi).
- West Lafayette, Indiana with a population density of 804 people per sq km (2,084 / sq mi).
- St. Peter, Minnesota with a population density of 720 people per sq km (1,866 / sq mi).
- Ammon, Idaho with a population density of 715 people per sq km (1,852 / sq mi).
- Henderson, Nevada with a population density of 946 people per sq km (2,450 / sq mi).
- Sparks, Nevada with a population density of 959 people per sq km (2,484 / sq mi).
- Pampa, Texas with a population density of 771 people per sq km (1,995 / sq mi).
- Norfolk, Nebraska with a population density of 867 people per sq km (2,246 / sq mi).
- Bowling Green, Ohio with a population density of 903 people per sq km (2,339 / sq mi).
- Fort Wayne, Indiana with a population density of 884 people per sq km (2,289 / sq mi).
Cities with a similar population size as Sarasota
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Sarasota, Florida:
- Buckeye, Arizona with a population of 50,876 people
- Lakewood, Washington with a population of 58,163 people
- Dearborn Heights, Michigan with a population of 57,774 people
- Ames, Iowa with a population of 58,965 people
- Pocatello, Idaho with a population of 58,255 people
- Edina, Minnesota with a population of 47,941 people
- Terre Haute, Indiana with a population of 60,785 people
- Grand Island, Nebraska with a population of 48,520 people
- Bristol, Connecticut with a population of 60,625 people
- Delano, California with a population of 53,819 people
Cities with a similar size as Sarasota
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Sarasota, Florida, here you go:
- Norwich, Connecticut with 76.16 square kilometers (76.16 sq mi), population: 40,493
- Corsicana, Texas with 60.42 square kilometers (60.42 sq mi), population: 23,770
- Allen, Texas with 68.60 square kilometers (68.60 sq mi), population: 99,175
- Albany, New York with 56.81 square kilometers (56.81 sq mi), population: 100,104
- Calera, Alabama with 63.06 square kilometers (63.06 sq mi), population: 11,620
- Greenfield, Massachusetts with 56.70 square kilometers (56.70 sq mi), population: 17,456
- Desert Hot Springs, California with 79.28 square kilometers (79.28 sq mi), population: 25,938
- New Bedford, Massachusetts with 62.50 square kilometers (62.50 sq mi), population: 95,115
- Sumter, South Carolina with 69.15 square kilometers (69.15 sq mi), population: 40,524
- Beaumont, California with 79.52 square kilometers (79.52 sq mi), population: 36,877