If you ever wondered how many inhabitants Blue Island in Illinois has, here is the answer:
Blue Island, Illinois has a population of 23,706 residents.
With an area of 4.16 sq km (1.61 sq mi), that comes down to a population density of 5698.56 inhabitants per square kilometer (14724.22 / sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population of 8,398,748 inhabitants and a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Blue Island is a city and a south suburb of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois, located approximately 16 miles (26 km) south of Chicago’s Loop. Blue Island is adjacent to the city of Chicago and shares its northern boundary with that city’s Morgan Park neighborhood. The population was 23,706 at the 2010 United States Census.Blue Island was established in the 1830s as a way station for settlers traveling on the Vincennes Trace, and the settlement prospered because it was conveniently situated a day’s journey outside of Chicago. The late-nineteenth-century historian and publisher Alfred T. Andreas made the following observation regarding the appearance of the young community in History of Cook County Illinois (1884), “The location of Blue Island Village is a beautiful one. Nowhere about Chicago is there to be found a more pleasant and desirable resident locality.”Since its founding, the city has been an important commercial center in the south Cook County region, although its position in that respect has been eclipsed in recent years as other significant population centers developed around it and the region’s commercial resources became spread over a wider area. In addition to its broad long-standing industrial base, the city enjoyed notable growth in the 1840s during the construction of the feeder canal (now the Calumet Sag Channel) for the Illinois and Michigan Canal and as the center of a large brick-making industry beginning in the 1850s, which eventually gave Blue Island the status of brick-making capital of the world. Beginning in 1883, Blue Island was also host to the car shops of the Rock Island Railroad. Blue Island was home to several breweries, who used the east side of the hill to store their product before the advent of refrigeration, until the Eighteenth Amendment made these breweries illegal in 1919. A large regional hospital and two major clinics are also located in the city.Although initially settled by “Yankee” stock, Blue Island has been the point of entry for many of America’s immigrants, beginning in the 1840s with the arrival of a large German population that remained a prominent part of the city’s ethnic makeup for many years. By 1850, half of Blue Island’s population was either foreign-born or the children of foreign-born residents. Later, significant groups came from Italy, Poland, Sweden and Mexico.The city is one of eleven incorporated areas in Illinois to have been designated by the White House as a “Preserve America” community.
Cities with a similar population size as Blue Island
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Blue Island, Illinois:
- Moscow, Idaho with a population of 23,800 people
- Loma Linda, California with a population of 23,261 people
- Des Moines, Washington with a population of 29,267 people
- West Linn, Oregon with a population of 25,109 people
- Garden City, Kansas with a population of 26,658 people
- Muscatine, Iowa with a population of 22,719 people
- Nogales, Arizona with a population of 20,837 people
- Cudahy, California with a population of 23,805 people
- Ashland, Ohio with a population of 21,249 people
- Allen Park, Michigan with a population of 28,210 people
Cities with a similar size as Blue Island
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Blue Island, Illinois, here you go:
- Nanticoke, Pennsylvania with 3.54 square kilometers, population: 10,465
- Canby, Oregon with 3.79 square kilometers, population: 15,829
- University Heights, Ohio with 4.71 square kilometers, population: 13,539
- Wilton Manors, Florida with 5.09 square kilometers, population: 12,108
- Palos Hills, Illinois with 4.29 square kilometers, population: 17,484
- Ontario, Oregon with 5.17 square kilometers, population: 11,366
- Federal Heights, Colorado with 4.60 square kilometers, population: 13,625
- Oil City, Pennsylvania with 4.84 square kilometers, population: 10,557
- West University Place, Texas with 5.19 square kilometers, population: 14,787
- La Palma, California with 4.68 square kilometers, population: 15,568
Cities with a similar population density as Blue Island
Other cities that have a similar population density as Blue Island, Illinois are:
- Berwyn, Illinois with a population density of 5,603 people per sq km (14,527 / sq mi).
- South Gate, California with a population density of 4,957 people per sq km (12,843 / sq mi).
- Somerville, Massachusetts with a population density of 6,926 people per sq km (17,951 / sq mi).
- Mission Viejo, California with a population density of 5,149 people per sq km (13,329 / sq mi).
- Watervliet, New York with a population density of 6,928 people per sq km (17,989 / sq mi).
- Erie, Pennsylvania with a population density of 5,276 people per sq km (13,660 / sq mi).
- Bell, California with a population density of 5,230 people per sq km (13,541 / sq mi).
- Lebanon, Pennsylvania with a population density of 6,110 people per sq km (15,824 / sq mi).
- Bell Gardens, California with a population density of 6,595 people per sq km (17,102 / sq mi).
- Chelsea, Massachusetts with a population density of 6,095 people per sq km (15,797 / sq mi).
Cities from the same state: Illinois
Let’s see what other cities Illinois has to offer:
- Mattoon, Illinois with 18,555 inhabitants
- Park Ridge, Illinois with 37,480 inhabitants
- Evanston, Illinois with 75,430 inhabitants
- Waukegan, Illinois with 88,826 inhabitants
- Geneva, Illinois with 21,495 inhabitants
- Highland Park, Illinois with 29,763 inhabitants
- Calumet City, Illinois with 37,042 inhabitants
- Bloomington, Illinois with 78,902 inhabitants
- Woodstock, Illinois with 24,658 inhabitants
- East Peoria, Illinois with 23,402 inhabitants