If you ever wondered how many inhabitants Pensacola in Florida has, here is the answer:
Pensacola, Florida has a population of 51,923 residents.
With an area of 105.57 sq km (40.76 sq mi), that comes down to a population density of 491.83 inhabitants per square kilometer (1273.87 / sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population of 8,398,748 inhabitants and a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Pensacola () is the westernmost city in the Florida Panhandle, and the county seat of Escambia County, Florida. As of 2018, the population was estimated to be 52,713. Pensacola is the principal city of the Pensacola Metropolitan Area, which had an estimated 494,883 residents as of 2018. Pensacola is one of the largest metropolitan areas in the Gulf Coast region, the largest between New Orleans and Tampa.Pensacola is the site of the first Spanish settlement within the borders of the continental United States in 1559, predating the establishment of St. Augustine by 6 years, although the settlement was abandoned due to a hurricane and not re-established until 1698. Pensacola is a seaport on Pensacola Bay, which is protected by the barrier island of Santa Rosa and connects to the Gulf of Mexico. A large United States Naval Air Station, the first in the United States, is located southwest of Pensacola near Warrington; it is the base of the Blue Angels flight demonstration team and the National Naval Aviation Museum. The main campus of the University of West Florida is situated north of the city center.The area was originally inhabited by Muskogean-speaking peoples. The Pensacola people lived there at the time of European contact, and Creek people frequently visited and traded from present-day southern Alabama. Spanish explorer Tristán de Luna founded a short-lived settlement in 1559. In 1698 the Spanish established a presidio in the area, from which the modern city gradually developed. The area changed hands several times as European powers competed in North America. During Florida’s British rule (1763–1781), fortifications were strengthened.It is nicknamed “The City of Five Flags”, due to the five governments that have ruled it during its history: the flags of Spain (Castile), France, Great Britain, the United States of America, and the Confederate States of America. Other nicknames include “World’s Whitest Beaches” (due to the white sand of Florida panhandle beaches), “Cradle of Naval Aviation”, “Western Gate to the Sunshine State”, “America’s First Settlement”, “Emerald Coast”, “Red Snapper Capital of the World”, and “P-Cola”.
Cities with a similar population size as Pensacola
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Pensacola, Florida:
- Twin Falls, Idaho with a population of 44,125 people
- Lincoln, California with a population of 45,837 people
- Charleston, West Virginia with a population of 49,138 people
- Yucaipa, California with a population of 51,367 people
- Janesville, Wisconsin with a population of 63,575 people
- Millcreek, Utah with a population of 62,139 people
- Anderson, Indiana with a population of 56,129 people
- Medford, Massachusetts with a population of 56,173 people
- Lakeville, Minnesota with a population of 55,954 people
- Grand Island, Nebraska with a population of 48,520 people
Cities with a similar size as Pensacola
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Pensacola, Florida, here you go:
- Waxahachie, Texas with 126.49 square kilometers, population: 29,621
- Norwalk, Connecticut with 94.20 square kilometers, population: 88,145
- Midland, Michigan with 92.44 square kilometers, population: 41,863
- Mission, Texas with 92.23 square kilometers, population: 80,452
- Danbury, Connecticut with 114.45 square kilometers, population: 81,671
- Cottage Grove, Minnesota with 97.15 square kilometers, population: 34,589
- Fall River, Massachusetts with 104.19 square kilometers, population: 88,857
- San Luis, Arizona with 88.51 square kilometers, population: 25,505
- Cedar City, Utah with 93.11 square kilometers, population: 28,857
- Bossier City, Louisiana with 113.69 square kilometers, population: 61,315
Cities with a similar population density as Pensacola
Other cities that have a similar population density as Pensacola, Florida are:
- Ottawa, Illinois with a population density of 538 people per sq km (1,395 / sq mi).
- Grand Haven, Michigan with a population density of 586 people per sq km (1,517 / sq mi).
- Elizabethton, Tennessee with a population density of 551 people per sq km (1,428 / sq mi).
- Humble, Texas with a population density of 588 people per sq km (1,522 / sq mi).
- Steamboat Springs, Colorado with a population density of 459 people per sq km (1,190 / sq mi).
- Cape Girardeau, Missouri with a population density of 512 people per sq km (1,327 / sq mi).
- Coldwater, Michigan with a population density of 456 people per sq km (1,181 / sq mi).
- Centralia, Illinois with a population density of 592 people per sq km (1,532 / sq mi).
- Elizabeth City, North Carolina with a population density of 589 people per sq km (1,526 / sq mi).
- Borger, Texas with a population density of 582 people per sq km (1,508 / sq mi).
Cities from the same state: Florida
Let’s see what other cities Florida has to offer:
- Dania Beach, Florida with 29,639 inhabitants
- West Melbourne, Florida with 18,355 inhabitants
- Greenacres, Florida with 37,573 inhabitants
- Altamonte Springs, Florida with 41,920 inhabitants
- Palm Coast, Florida with 75,180 inhabitants
- Coral Springs, Florida with 121,096 inhabitants
- Stuart, Florida with 15,593 inhabitants
- Fort Lauderdale, Florida with 178,752 inhabitants
- Deltona, Florida with 85,182 inhabitants
- Weston, Florida with 65,333 inhabitants