If you ever wondered how many inhabitants Shreveport in Louisiana has, here is the answer:
Shreveport, Louisiana has a population of 199,311 residents.
With an area of 316.88 sq km (122.35 sq mi), that comes down to a population density of 628.98 inhabitants per square kilometer (1629.02 / sq mi).
As a reference: New York City has a population of 8,398,748 inhabitants and a population density of 6918 inhabitants per square kilometer (17918 / sq mi).
Shreveport ( SHREEV-port) is a city in the U.S. state of Louisiana. It is the most populous city in the Shreveport-Bossier City metropolitan area. Shreveport ranks third in population in Louisiana after New Orleans and Baton Rouge and 133rd in the U.S. The bulk of Shreveport is in Caddo Parish, of which it is the parish seat. Shreveport extends along the west bank of the Red River (most notably at Wright Island, the Charles and Marie Hamel Memorial Park, and Bagley Island) into neighboring Bossier Parish. The population of Shreveport was 199,311 as of the 2010 U.S. Census. The United States Census Bureau’s 2019 estimates for the city’s population decreased to 187,112.Shreveport was founded in 1836 by the Shreve Town Company, a corporation established to develop a town at the juncture of the newly navigable Red River and the Texas Trail, an overland route into the newly independent Republic of Texas. Prior to Texas becoming independent, this trail entered Mexico. The city grew throughout the 20th century and, after the discovery of oil in Louisiana, became a national center for the oil industry. Standard Oil of Louisiana (absorbed by Standard Oil of New Jersey and now part of ExxonMobil) and United Gas Corporation (now part of Pennzoil) were headquartered in the city until the 1960s and 1980s. After the loss of jobs in the oil industry, the close of Shreveport Operations (a General Motors vehicle factory), and other economic problems the city struggled with a declining population, poverty, drugs and violent crime. Since Cedric Glover’s tenure as mayor of Shreveport, the city began efforts to revitalize its infrastructure to end its population decline, revive the economy through diversification, and lower crime.Shreveport is the educational, commercial and cultural center of the Ark-La-Tex region, where Arkansas, Louisiana, and Texas meet. It is the location of Centenary College of Louisiana, Louisiana State University Shreveport, Louisiana Tech University Shreveport, Southern University at Shreveport, and Louisiana Baptist University. Its neighboring city Bossier City is the location of Bossier Parish Community College. The city forms part of the I-20 Cyber Corridor linking Shreveport and Bossier City, Ruston, Grambling, and Monroe to Dallas and Tyler, Texas, and Atlanta, Georgia. Companies with significant operations or headquarters in Shreveport are Regions Financial Corporation, JPMorgan Chase, Sam’s Town Hotel and Gambling Hall, AT&T Mobility, United Parcel Service, Walmart, Chick-fil-A, Waffle House, SWEPCO, General Electric, UOP LLC, Calumet Specialty Products Partners, and APS Payroll.
Cities with a similar population size as Shreveport
Here a list of cities that have a similar number of inhabitants like Shreveport, Louisiana:
- Yonkers, New York with a population of 195,976 people
- Glendale, Arizona with a population of 226,721 people
- Spokane, Washington with a population of 208,916 people
- Garland, Texas with a population of 226,876 people
- Jackson, Mississippi with a population of 173,514 people
- Brownsville, Texas with a population of 183,046 people
- Amarillo, Texas with a population of 190,695 people
- Jersey City, New Jersey with a population of 247,597 people
- Arlington County, Virginia with a population of 224,906 people
- Mobile, Alabama with a population of 195,111 people
Cities with a similar size as Shreveport
If you want to check which cities have a similar size as Shreveport, Louisiana, here you go:
- Henderson, Nevada with 272.43 square kilometers, population: 257,729
- Fernley, Nevada with 334.93 square kilometers, population: 19,368
- Atlanta, Georgia with 348.00 square kilometers, population: 486,290
- Hampton, Virginia with 352.90 square kilometers, population: 136,699
- Port St. Lucie, Florida with 312.11 square kilometers, population: 164,603
- Portland, Oregon with 375.81 square kilometers, population: 653,115
- Omaha, Nebraska with 367.27 square kilometers, population: 466,893
- Fayetteville, North Carolina with 387.43 square kilometers, population: 204,408
- Columbia, South Carolina with 349.39 square kilometers, population: 129,272
- Durham, North Carolina with 286.66 square kilometers, population: 228,330
Cities with a similar population density as Shreveport
Other cities that have a similar population density as Shreveport, Louisiana are:
- Maryville, Tennessee with a population density of 623 people per sq km (1,613 / sq mi).
- Pendleton, Oregon with a population density of 619 people per sq km (1,604 / sq mi).
- Arnold, Missouri with a population density of 673 people per sq km (1,743 / sq mi).
- Shelbyville, Indiana with a population density of 636 people per sq km (1,647 / sq mi).
- Festus, Missouri with a population density of 785 people per sq km (2,032 / sq mi).
- Galesburg, Illinois with a population density of 694 people per sq km (1,797 / sq mi).
- Minnetonka, Minnesota with a population density of 681 people per sq km (1,764 / sq mi).
- Burlington, Iowa with a population density of 651 people per sq km (1,686 / sq mi).
- McHenry, Illinois with a population density of 693 people per sq km (1,795 / sq mi).
- Marlon, California with a population density of 711 people per sq km (1,842 / sq mi).
Cities from the same state: Louisiana
Let’s see what other cities Louisiana has to offer:
- Zachary, Louisiana with 14,960 inhabitants
- Thibodaux, Louisiana with 14,567 inhabitants
- Morgan City, Louisiana with 12,404 inhabitants
- Denham Springs, Louisiana with 10,215 inhabitants
- Pineville, Louisiana with 13,829 inhabitants
- Ruston, Louisiana with 21,859 inhabitants
- Abbeville, Louisiana with 12,257 inhabitants
- Bogalusa, Louisiana with 12,232 inhabitants
- DeRidder, Louisiana with 10,578 inhabitants
- Mandeville, Louisiana with 10,489 inhabitants