How big does a Giant bushy-tailed cloud rat get? Here is an overview over the average adult age:
A grown Giant bushy-tailed cloud rat (Crateromys schadenbergi) reaches an average size of 37.1 cm (1′ 3″).
When born, they have an average size of 0 cm (0′ 0″). The Giant bushy-tailed cloud rat (genus: Crateromys) is a member of the family Muridae.
As a reference: Humans reach an average body size of 1.65m (5′ 5″) while carrying 62 kg (137 lbs). A human woman is pregnant for 280 days (40 weeks) and on average become 75 years old.
The giant bushy-tailed cloud rat or Luzon bushy-tailed cloud rat (Crateromys schadenbergi) is a large, endangered species of rodent in the family Muridae. It is only found in pine and mossy forest at altitudes of 2,000–2,740 metres (6,560–8,990 ft) in the Central Cordillera of Luzon, the Philippines. Relatively little is known about its behavior, but it is nocturnal, mainly arboreal and feeds on various types of vegetation.It is rarer than the northern Luzon giant cloud rat, a shorter-haired species that mainly occurs at lower elevations, but locally the giant bushy-tailed cloud rat remains moderately common in oak-pine forest. The primary threats are hunting and habitat loss.The appearance of the giant bushy-tailed cloud rat has been described as spectacular, and it appears to be an equivalent of large tropical tree squirrels, which are not found in Luzon. It weighs 1.35–1.5 kilograms (3.0–3.3 lb) and is 73.5–76 centimetres (28.9–29.9 in) long. The very long, soft fur, which also covers the tail, is typically all black, but some individuals have white patches.
Animals of the same family as a Giant bushy-tailed cloud rat
We found other animals of the Muridae family:
- Mimic tree rat with a size of 30.5 cm (1′ 1″)
- European snow vole with 2 babies per litter
- Patagonian chinchilla mouse with a weight of 75 grams
- Kaiser’s rock rat with 3 babies per litter
- Major’s tufted-tailed rat with a weight of 100 grams
- Defua rat with 1 babies per litter
- Long-tailed hopping mouse with a size of 13.8 cm (0′ 6″)
- Mountain mosaic-tailed rat with a size of 11.6 cm (0′ 5″)
- Capricorn leaf-eared mouse with a weight of 50 grams
- Scolomys melanops with a weight of 26 grams
Animals with the same size as a Giant bushy-tailed cloud rat
Not that size really matters, but it makes things comparable. So here are a couple of animals that are as big as Giant bushy-tailed cloud rat:
- Japanese marten with a size of 44.2 cm (1′ 6″)
- Short-tailed chinchilla with a size of 30.5 cm (1′ 1″)
- Black dwarf porcupine with a size of 35.2 cm (1′ 2″)
- Selous’s mongoose with a size of 42.8 cm (1′ 5″)
- Long-tailed chinchilla with a size of 30.5 cm (1′ 1″)
- Bare-eared squirrel monkey with a size of 30.9 cm (1′ 1″)
- Raffray’s bandicoot with a size of 34.6 cm (1′ 2″)
- Humboldt’s white-fronted capuchin with a size of 38.4 cm (1′ 4″)
- Desert cottontail with a size of 32.5 cm (1′ 1″)
- Southern needle-clawed bushbaby with a size of 30 cm (1′ 0″)