How many baby Admiralty Island cuscuss are in a litter?
A Admiralty Island cuscus (Spilocuscus kraemeri) usually gives birth to around 1 babies.
Upon birth, they weight 1 grams (0 lbs) and measure 1.7 cm (0′ 1″). They are a member of the Phalangeridae family (genus: Spilocuscus). An adult Admiralty Island cuscus grows up to a size of 11.7 cm (0′ 5″).
To have a reference: Humans obviously usually have a litter size of one ;). Their babies are in the womb of their mother for 280 days (40 weeks) and reach an average size of 1.65m (5′ 5″). They weight in at 62 kg (137 lbs), which is obviously highly individual, and reach an average age of 75 years.
The Admiralty Island cuscus or Manus Island spotted cuscus (Spilocuscus kraemeri) is a species of marsupial in the family Phalangeridae. It is endemic to the Admiralty Islands of Papua New Guinea. It is the smallest member of the genus Spilocuscus, and the female has a black back, while the male has blackish spots on a white background. Both genders have rufous heads.Listed as Near Threatened because, although it is common within its small range (its extent of occurrence is less than 2,000 km2), there is continuing decline in both quality of habitat and numbers of individuals, thus making the species close to qualifying for Vulnerable under criterion B. The increasing human population pressures and the low fecundity of this relatively long-lived animal are cause for concern. Populations of this species should be closely monitored.
Other animals of the family Phalangeridae
Admiralty Island cuscus is a member of the Phalangeridae, as are these animals:
- Telefomin cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Black-spotted cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Ornate cuscus weighting around 1.79 kilograms (3.95 lbs)
- Woodlark cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Eastern common cuscus with 2 babies per pregnancy
- Stein’s cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Silky cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Scaly-tailed possum with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Ground cuscus with 1 babies per pregnancy
- Sulawesi bear cuscus weighting around 10 kilograms (22.05 lbs)
Animals that share a litter size with Admiralty Island cuscus
Those animals also give birth to 1 babies at once: